Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, May 19, 2023

Is it orange?

This week I wanted to work on some Split 9 Patch blocks in orange, but I wasn't sure I had enough variety of orange scraps for them.  Hunting around in my stash, I found this Halloween stripe and wondered if it read orange enough to be usable.


Figuring that I really had nothing to lose - this is a scrappy quilt after all - I decided to use a few pieces of the stripe in a couple of Split 9s.  Here's how they turned out!


The great thing about these blocks is how they look all together as a group.  I think this will work!


My other accomplishment is house #6 for the Rainbow Neighbourhood QAL.  This is the Rainy Day house!  I found just enough of the fun raindrop print and *made it work* for the sky (sometimes it does rain sideways here!) and some cats to look out the door and windows (it was raining cats, and possibly dogs, lol)!  

Although this block is mainly turquoise and teal, 
there are a few little bits of orange here and there!

It's been a good sewing week here!  Sharing at SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday and at Quilting is More Fun than Housework for Oh Scrap!










19 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

LOL at the sideways rain! Fun to see the cats peeking out the windows.

Libby in TN said...

Since you have stripey-looking fabrics in your other blocks, the Halloween stripe fits right in. We've had sideways rain here lately, too. I have that raindrop fabric but have never found a use for it. Now I know!

Linda said...

Haha we used to get sideways rain when we lived in south Texas! That house is really cute. I love the Halloween fabric - it's perfect for your orange!

Nann said...

It's orange if you say it is! The "splitting rainbow" blocks look terrific.

Sara said...

The stripe really works well in the split 9-patch blocks. Good choice. What a cute house block!

Mari said...

I had to laugh-- a few years ago we got a book called "Will it Waffle?" and your headline reminded me of that. Love the sideways rain and the split 9s.

Deb A said...

Love how you laid out the split 9's! I'd say it was a great call to include that print in with the orange. It looks great. Love the house - and yes, the rain can do all those angles at once! Have a good weekend.

grammajudyb said...

Your split 9’s are looking so good! I love the stripes! And house #6 is cute, cute! I think I have some raindrops fabric! I better go search. I might have enough for the “sky”!

Ivani said...

LOL, Here too, Diann, it tends to rain sideways, especially when the winds are too strong. Your raint day house turned very cute. Love to see all the Split nine patch blocks together and the striped scrap works very well.

Susie H said...

I think the Halloween stripe works just fine. We sometimes try to overthink things and those blocks look great. Your house caught in the rain is perfect! Good job, Diann.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

I had the same question with my orange fabric! Your fabric appears orange since it is next to orange...great job on using 'what you have' in the split 9 patches.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like the idea for the split nine and the fabric reads orange to me

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Hey, that looks very orange tucked in there, Diann!!! It would probably look green or purple, used in those blocks, too! Interesting experiment!!! Love that split 9-patch group of blocks!!

Vicki in MN said...

You are letting your imagination sore with those houses, love it! That stripe just blends in when you put all the blocks together.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Love how the stripe worked up in those split nine patch blocks! I think the teal house is my favorite of your neighborhood!

Bonnie said...

Of course that stripe goes with your oranges. I wish I owned that stripe although I have nothing pending to use it on! You are keeping up with the various blocks quite nicely. Great job.

piecefulwendy said...

Yup - it definitely works! So many fun blocks!

Preeti said...

You made it work. I bet you can also use it in the purple blocks and it will work just fine.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Those split nines are cool and that fabric totally works ( Little bit said so too!)