Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, May 17, 2023

I Like Thursday #336

Good morning, friends!  Hope your week is going well!  We enjoyed a backyard visit from one of our favorite birds over the weekend - a western tanager.  He hung around our feeders for quite on both Saturday and Sunday.  Such a beautiful bird!


That reminded me of this orangey/yellow orphan block I have, so I pulled it out and it will become something for this month's Table Scraps project.  I'm still thinking about what to do with it. 

This is leftover from the 2020 Color Challenge over at PBJ Quilts, and I remember each monthly block was inspired by birds that year, but I don't remember if this one was a western tanager or something different.

We finally got to one of my favorite times of the year - when we can plant!  I started with my flower pots.  I'm going with all white petunias in the pots this year.  They don't look like much yet, but I'll share again in a month!

Veggies will be next!

Earlier this week, I finished this book, Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow.  It was really good, and a fascinating story because the main characters are all involved in computer gaming - becoming game designers in their college years and starting their own company.  Of course, that is a topic I know almost nothing about, except through my own sons, who would be similar in age to the characters in the book. 


Have you ever had a close encounter with a celebrity?  When I thought about this question, two memories came up.  Once in the Denver Airport, Mike and I (this was before kids, so a long time ago) were waiting at our gate and a large group of very tall men walked by.  I pointed them out to Mike like "look at those guys !" and he laughed and said they were the Denver Nuggets basketball team!  He, of course, could name them all, but I was clueless.

Another time, we had gone to a Spring Training baseball game in Arizona, and specifically wanted to see the California Angels because our son was a fan of the pitcher Jim Abbott at the time.  The Angels were owned by Gene Autry, and he came walking along near where we were sitting.  Again, Mike recognized him, not me! (He grew up in a country music loving family, so that helped.)

But my true claim to fame is this:

Since we did our DNA tests a few years ago, and signed up with a website called Family Search, we get these kinds of email notifications once in awhile.  This would be through my dad's mother's side of the family, and if I click on the link in the email, I can follow the ancestors back and see how we are related.  
I thought that was kind of neat!

Joining in with I Like Thursday at Not Afraid of Color.









13 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

wow related to Winston Churchill is a claim to fame :) one of these days I need to do one of these tests. I think the closest I came to an encounter was with the Milwaukee Bucks Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. I saw him after a game was over when he was greeting some military privately in a hallway and I was with one of the military guys back in 71-- I think he might have still been going by the name Lou Alicindor at that time

Libby in TN said...

Lovely tanager, lucky you! We get crowds of cowbirds and bunches of finches, gold and house. Roy Rogers and Dale Evans came to our little community when we first moved to Tennessee -- talk about a star-struck 7 year-old! In Nashville (especially south of Nashville where we recently lived) we would see country music stars and local TV personalities all the time.

grammajudyb said...

Wow! That’s kind of cool! Related to Winston Churchill! We’ve never done the DNA testing! I know a great grandfather married a first cousin! That probably mucks up the blood lines somewhat! LOL! I think all white petunias in your pots will be stunning! I like the look of masses of the same color. Maybe I’ll do red this year. Mr Busy really likes geraniums, so that would work with red petunias! I’ve got some weed killing to do first! ! !

Deb A said...

That is a really neat bird! So colorful. I need to play with some orange today and get caught up a bit with the RSC. Being related to Winston Churchill is really neat! Have a great day.

chrisknits said...

Cool!! I don't know of any important people we are related to, but surely there's someone? LOL I love your yellow block!!!

Susie H said...

That is a beautiful bird. I don't think I've ever seen one up close like that. Your quilt block had to be inspired by a scarlet tanager. Same beautiful colors! I love white flowers. I always sprinkle some in my beds. They make everything shine, especially in the evenings. I need to run to the store and make my selections too!

LA Paylor said...

wow, 7th cousin twice removed! awesome, Gene Autry was on a Sat. morning tv show I used to watch growing up. I can hear his voice now. Your flowers will be lush soon with all this rain. We're on water restrictions are you? so glad for the rain
LeeAnna

Michele McLaughlin said...

Wow on the Winston Churchill relation! You go girl! Love that block you are using up this month. The colors sing 'summer!" Have a safe and happy weekend!

Linda said...

Your white petunias will make a beautiful display! I've had no close encounters, other than being at concerts. Wow on the connection to Winnie! I'm jealous - lol!
My DNA was done through Ancestry (a gift from my Hubby), and I would love to be on Ancestry, but $$$. I wonder if I can upload my DNA results to Family Search.
That book sounds really interesting.
Hope you have a great weekend!

PaintedThread said...

I'm hoping we've had our last frost this week. I hope to start moving stuff outdoors next week! What fun that you're related to Churchill. :-)

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Yes, your flowers will fill in beautifully. We had frost two overnights lately so slowing things down a little. DNA kits are turning up so much for folks. Interesting. That block is so pretty.

piecefulwendy said...

Oh, lucky you to have a Western Tanager at your feeder! I would love to see one. So far we have two pairs of Baltimore Orioles, indigo buntings, house finch, a variety of woodpeckers at our feeder. I've seen that book and heard good things, so I'll have to pick it up. I have a gamer son, so would be fun to read. You have some strong family genes!

Bernie Kringel said...

First - I love the shot of the Tanager - we get those too and they are my favorite. They left for the winter but I am expecting to see them again soon.

Second - you and Winston huh?? So cool!

I don't know if I am related to anyone famous but my husband is. His grandfather is the brother of Kevin Costner's grandfather. So far that hasn't been life changing or anything but it is a curiosity. :-)