Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Thursday, May 25, 2023

ABC Table Scraps for May

 Hello!


My Table Scraps project for May celebrates a Favorite Feathered Friend, the Western Tanager.  They're such beautiful birds and we were lucky to have a male and female visit our feeders for a couple of days recently.  He reminded me of this orphan block I had in the cupboard, again leftover from the 2020 Color Challenge, hosted by Patterns by Jen.

I'm also incorporating the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color of the month - orange,
and the letters F and L as prompted by Joy over at the Joyful Quilter!

It was pretty easy to make a placemat out of this block by adding some blue strips to each side so it measures 12.5 x 16.5.  Quilted with the serpentine stitch and bound in the same blue, and voila!


Small projects like this are good for using up Leftover pieces of batting and backing, like the Sprinkles wide back I've been using on bigger quilts this year.


I enjoy having a fun placemat for my breakfast each morning.  They make great gifts, too!


Sending you off with one more shot of that Western Tanager.  They've flown off up into the mountains and further west for the summer - only graced our yard for a couple days during their migration.

Thanks for visiting!

Sharing at ABC Table Scraps link-up for May at The Joyful Quilter,
Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts
SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday and 














22 comments:

Linda said...

That's a beautiful placemat! How nice that your visiting birds prompted it. :) We have been watching the barn swallows nesting on our patio wall, and the little ones have finally "flown the coop". They all still gather at night back in the nest, so we are patiently waiting before we do anything with the nest. Have a great weekend!

Jeanna said...

What a beautiful bird at your feeder. You made a lovely placemat as well. Cheery colors to start your day.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

How fun to have a colorful pair of visitors! That orphan block make up well in a happy placemat!

Nann said...

What a cheerful placemat!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the only time I have seen the Western Tanager is out west I believe I have always thought it was a beautiful bird

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

A lovely placemat and I was excited to see your Western Tanager. I've never seen one here...great shots.

PaintedThread said...

I love the blue with the yellow and orange.

Susie H said...

Beautiful bird! Love your mat also.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

brilliant! you incorporated everything, got a great table mat, and beautiful photos of your birds!!! Win win!

Sara said...

I like how you used the serpentine on a diagonal like that. Very cheerful breakfast placemat.

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a great way to meet both of the letter prompts, Diann! Thanks for linking with the May 2023 ABC (Table) SCRAPS Challenge. I'm SEW glad that you are enjoying using your scraps to make a project each month!

grammajudyb said...

Such a lovely placemat. I especially like the pop of blue. It must me special to have those temporary visitors in your yard. We don't see them here, but my brother and sister-in-law have a regular one in their yard in Rapid City SD. I have a photo of him sitting on my brother's hand. They are so pretty!

Deb A said...

Lovely placemat and what a beautiful bird! Great job incorporating the letters and colors.

LA Paylor said...

ooo we had tanangers all over the yard this week but didn't know what those little brilliant yellow birds were. Lovely

Jenny said...

Such a pretty placemat, a great way to use up orphan blocks. So nice to see the visiting birds as they stop awhile before heading off again.

Astrid said...

Bright and cheerful placemat. Feels good to use up those small scraps and orphan block, doesn't it. Beautiful bird, so fun they came to visit for a few days.

Helenchaffin said...

the placemats turned out beautifully,I luv watching all the different birds come to my feeders too,I keep a journal so I can be ready for when it's time for ones like the yellow finches come through

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

One of the best things about spring/summer is the return of the birds who flew south. Your Western Tanager is so colorful and handsome! I love the placemat, and like Sara I'm admiring how you did the quilting. I just might borrow that idea! Have a great week!

Chantal said...

I love what you found for your inspiration. It's a lovely little bird and a great-looking placemat. ;^)

Bonnie said...

I like your new placemat. And, oh, what a lovely bird. We get a lot of yellow finches and blue birds at our feeder. They strip it bare in about 36 hours. But I like to watch them from my studio. I like your wide back... I've used some of it this year also.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Diann, that's a wonderful placemat and a great post! Take care.

piecefulwendy said...

They are such beautiful birds - I'd love to see one in the wild. Occasionally we will have scarlet tanagers here, but I haven't seen one this year. Your placemat is so cheerful and pretty!