Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, May 24, 2023

I Like Thursday #337

Happy Thursday, friends!  How's your week going?  I'm joining in with I Like Thursday at Not Afraid of Color.  

We drove out through Eastern Colorado to where our son lives in western Kansas last Saturday and encountered this crazy fog/Canadian wildfire smoke combination that made visibility pretty bad.  Not something to like, but definitely made the day interesting!

(Do you like that crack in the windshield?:)  
Fortunately, the fog did lift after we got up out of the river valley a ways. 

I needed something to stitch on earlier this week, and haven't had a chance to trace a new embroidery design so I pulled out some Aida cloth and stitched up another of the sweet Spring Stamps from Melisa at PinkernPunkin Quilting.  I liked this one with the bird and the watering can because that's what I've been doing this week - planting and watering!


This week I've been reading the book that my book club chose for our June discussion.  It's about a woman named Elizabeth Packard who lived in Illinois in the 1800s, and was committed to an insane asylum for several years by her husband because she dared to have her own thoughts, ideas, and beliefs!  It's quite a story.  I suspect my group will have lots to talk about with this book!


LeeAnna's question of the week is if we could go on vacation anywhere right now, where would it be?  Well, I've been itching to get out of town lately to... somewhere, anywhere!!! ... but because of family things going on, we just haven't been able to make any plans.  

You might know, if you've been reading my blog for awhile, that I love to go anywhere that is by the ocean.  In recent years, our favorite destination has been the Oregon Coast.  So beautiful and scenic there!

We actually have a trip planned to go back there in September, 
and I am sooo looking forward to it!

Other favorite destinations include coastal cities in California like San Diego and Monterey.  I'd like to visit the Central Coast, too, like the Morro Bay area.

But the place I'd really like to go and have never been to is Hawaii!  Still dreaming of that one!

Where would you like to travel to?














15 comments:

grammajudyb said...

Diann, I like the cross stitch on the whiter fabric. Mine is dark enough that the contrast is sometimes hard to see. Did you use "called for colors" or did you use your own ideas. Some variegated maybe?

Yes, please! I'd go to Hawaii too. We have never been. I hope you can make that happen sometime in the future.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Hawaii is a great destination. Africa--Victoria Falls, Robin Island in particular has been on my bucket list for years. . . I hope you have a great and safe trip!

Libby in TN said...

Ticking Canadian Rockies and Iceland off my bucket list this summer (not in the same trip!), but still want to cruise the Columbia River. Also working our way through pro golf tournaments with Waste Management in 2024. Closer to home, attempting to visit all of Tennessee's great state parks - one of only 8 states that do not charge admission. I think you need to add the Cumberland Plateau to your bucket list!

The Cozy Quilter said...

We have explored the eastern US but not the west, yet! I have travelled from coast to coast in Canada and also Iceland, Scotland and England. Isn’t it fun to think about the places we’d like to go?
Your cross stitch is perfect for this season

Linda said...

Melisa's bird and watering can look perfect with those pretty flowers! Hubs and I would like to travel north - South Dakota, Montana. He loves beaches also. I love mountains and mesas. We used to scuba dive, so we have been to numerous beaches, so now it's my turn - lol! If I didn't have to fly, I'd love to visit the UK and especially Scotland.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Your cross stitches are always so cute! I too would like to visit Hawaii and take a cruise. :)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have never been to Hawaii and would love to be there too - I could do without being in the high tourist area though and see some of the lesser seen areas although would love to see the historic areas of Pearl Harbor. Sorry you had such bad fog/smoke to drive though I do not like that - it is difficult.

Sheila said...

Love the bright colors in your new cross stitch.
I also read the book you mentioned. Hard to imagine what they did to that poor woman. There were times when I felt the book dragged a little, but it was interesting. Very thankful that we progressed since then.

Bernie Kringel said...

That book sounds like a good one. I just added it to my TBR list. Thank you!
I have spent loads of time on California coastlines - pretty much from north to south. I am fortunate enough to have been to Hawaii twice. I think the CA coast is better. Hawaii is so expensive that it sort of took some of the fun out of it for me. It is very pretty though and I am happy to have been there.

Have a lovely day Diann!

LA Paylor said...

well then, now that you mention Hawaii.... yes please! Any time of year. I now have several online friends who live there, and would love to meet them too
LeeAnna

Susie H said...

We had haziness here in the St. Louis area due to the Canadian fires for several days. Made for beautiful sunrises and sunsets. I'm down to the last 2 stamps on Melissa's Spring Stamps SAL. They've been really fun! If you make it to Hawaii and need a travel partner/guide/friend, I'm here for you! Lol!

PaintedThread said...

Wow, that's foggy! Cute cross stitch. I always love your photos of the west coast. So pretty!

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

I'd come to Hawaii with you, but definitely not for a drive through fog. Your new cross stitch is looking great.

Nann said...

I was blown away by The Woman They Could Not Silence! Glad your group chose it.

piecefulwendy said...

Driving through fog like that is a otherworldly experience, isn't it? Your little stitchery is so cute and appropriate for this time of the season! I've heard about that book but haven't read it. I imagine it will be a great one to discuss! Hawaii is on our bucket list as well, and like you, I like any vacation that takes me to lakes or oceans.