It can be a good experience to work on something a little outside of your comfort zone, which this quilt was for me, at least color wise! I bought a design roll of Kate Spain's Honey Honey last summer and used quite a bit of it on some other projects. What was left was a lot of the bright fabrics that I don't sew with very often. It turns out that I am getting to be a fan of orange!
I think this quilt has a sweet and spicy look to it with the combination of blues, greens, pinks, and oranges. I used Cyndy's Scrappy Bricks design idea to put the fabrics together, and added the 1inch black bars to give the bright colors and prints some space from each other. I decided to back it in a cool, summery blue, and bound it in my latest favorite, black and white polka dots. I think the binding makes a nice frame for the quilt and ties in with the black sashing bars. The finished size is about 36 x 40.
Unfortunately I kind of wimped out on the quilting... I was so determined to give some FMQ a go, thinking I could try a couple of simple designs in the bricks, but I couldn't quite get it to look the way I wanted. So, after unpicking a bunch of quilting, I ended up just loosely quilting it about 3 1/2 inches through the bricks and along the top and bottom edges of each row, mostly stitch in the ditch. Hopefully for a small quilt like this, that will be enough.
All in all, it is fun to have a finish for June, and something bright and cheery to hang over the back of a chair.
On to the next project!