Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Thursday, August 31, 2023

Mermaids Dance

I have a finish to share to end August and begin September.  It's my version of ScrapDance Quadrille, the 2022 mystery designed by Carole at From My Carolina Home.  I started with a fat quarter bundle of ocean-themed prints that I bought at a fun quilt shop that I visited on Cape Cod in May of 2022.  We made lots of HSTs, and they turned into two pretty blocks.



I made four blocks plus added two borders, and ended up with a 33.5 inch square tabletopper that I'm calling "Mermaids Dance!"  


I had one fat quarter that didn't make it into the quilt top, so I used it for the back.  Loving a pieced back, I brought the fat quarter up to size with scraps of Sprinkles.


I bought a fun batik for the binding from my LQS because I couldn't come up with anything in my stash that seemed quite right.  I knew this would just look like swirls of blue-green and white in the binding, but I couldn't resist it!

This is going in my aqua stash for the September Rainbow Scrap Challenge color!

I made a special label for this one, so you could see the mermaid print.


Mermaids Dance is perfect for the outside table on our back porch.  


I'm hoping to take Mermaids Dance along to visit the ocean when we head to the Oregon Coast in a couple weeks.  Maybe I'll get a couple of fun photos of it there!

Meanwhile, I'll be sharing my finish with several link-ups this weekend, including:
Favorite Finish Monthly Link-up at Meadow Mist Designs 
Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts 
ScrapHappy Saturday at SoScrappy and
Oh Scrap at Quilting is More Fun than Housework.
















22 comments:

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Mermaid's dance is terrific. I love HSTs for all the different designs/ways that they can be used!

Jill at emeraldcottage said...

Its beautiful, I love the colours

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that is a cute little quilt I love those colors and you did such a good job on the label.

Sandra Walker said...

Such a pretty little quilt, and a perfect spot for it! I have some ocean-themed prints I picked up in a Florida quilt shop to make a cushion cover and this reminds me of that project! HSTs are just so versatile aren't they?

Linda said...

What a sweet table topper! That fat quarter is perfect for the back, and I love the binding. Nice job Diann! Hope it gets to go to to the coast with you. :)

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Love it, love the back too! Thanks for sharing your finish!

Kate said...

A very cute quilt! Love the name too. Congrats on a very fun and summery finish.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a fun finish!! it is so perfect for your table!
And that new batik is gorgeous!!!!

Kathleen said...

Mermaid's Dance is a fun finish. I love the colors and pattern and the fun backing you choose. Enjoy the coast when you get there.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

This is just perfect! Love the mermaids, the backing, the binding, the label and the blocks! :)

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A delightful quilt, love the colours!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Look at you starting AQUA month off with a bang, Diann!! I'll look forward to what else you will create.

scraphappy said...

What a great design! I love it when quilts just come together perfectly like that. You even had a great spot to put it. What fun!

Sara said...

Very cute fabrics and a fun way to use them.

Deb A said...

An adorable quilt and I love the label! Always fun to add to the stash too =).

Chookyblue...... said...

I found your blog via Carole @ My Carolina Home...........nice quilt and I will look forward to seeing what you create here........

Mari said...

What a darling little quilt! I love how the colors play together. And I love the dolphin fabric, too. I wouldn't have been able to resist it either!

grammajudyb said...

Oh Diann! Your version of Scrap Dance Quadrille is adorable! The fabric is so pretty! Great finish with the pieced backing, the pretty oceany binding and the label! Love it!

Vicki in MN said...

Such a sweet quilt that will remind you of the Cape vacation. And sounds like you have another fun vacay planned!!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Mermaid's dance is lovely! Fabric makes a good souvenir of a happy trip.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Mermaid Dance is beautiful, Diann. The colors are so serene. Beautiful job.

Jeanna said...

Your Mermaids Dance is just stunning, Dian. I love the colors in this one. Looking forward to its photo shoot on the coast.