Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Thursday, August 24, 2023

ABC Table Scraps for August

This month, I didn't have a yellow orphan block to turn into something, so I used the true scraps right off my cutting table, left over from the yellow blocks I made all month for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  I turned them into a crumb block, about 7 x 9 inches.


This piece of a favorite floral fabric was exactly right for the backing.  It's a leftover from a Blogger Bundle that I bought from Bernie's Etsy shop several years ago.  The fabric bundle was chosen by Carole at From My Carolina Home, and contained some really pretty fabric prints for August.  I think this one is all I have left of that bundle.


I finished it into a sweet little mini quilt, did some machine quilting on it, and added some hand stitching with orange embroidery floss.


Notice the XOXOXO that I stitched?
X and O are the letters Joy chose for this month's ABC part of the challenge,
so I stitched them onto the mini quilt in a couple different places.

This will work great on our little glass table on the back porch.  Doesn't it go perfectly with Mike's stainless cup?  

Hugs and kisses for my hubby!
XOXOXO

I like it with my big pot of marigolds, too.  This was definitely a fun August project!


Linking up with The Joyful Quilter for August Table Scraps
SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday and 













24 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the yellows are pretty - keeping this short as I managed to get on line but it keeps kicking me off - it will be done soon again I think!

Libby in TN said...

PERFECT!

Kate said...

What a great way to use up those scraps, it's really cute. Your marigolds are lovely. Happy stitching this weekend.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I recognize that fabric! Your little table scrap project is perfect for your table and Mike's cup.

Vicki in MN said...

You took the challenge literally using table scraps and then putting it on your table when it was done!

Linda said...

That's a beautiful mini, will Mike mind sharing it with the marigolds? ;)

Chantal said...

Well done with the embroidery embellishments! Love the flower print on the back. Mike has the perfect cup for this lovely mug rug. ;^)

Jeanna said...

You were very clever with this one. I love the XOs. Make a perfect mug rug/small quilt for your hubby.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

What a beautiful and happy mini! I especially enjoyed the staged shot!

Deb A said...

Love it with the marigolds! The orange embroidery on it is perfect. Have a great weekend.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

This mini quilt is a bowl of sunshine and it looks amazing with your marigolds. Love the specialty stitches as well. Beautiful job, Diann.

Susie H said...

Sweet mini! I love it with the marigolds. Those little flowers hold up to heat & drought so well and always look cheery!

grammajudyb said...

OMG (to quote my young great granddaughter) I love your sunflower backed mini! And the Xs and Os are perfect! I’m going to have to scurry now and get mine done! S-Weeet!

Bernie Kringel said...

I have been happily watching you use bits of that bundle Diann. I love seeing people using fabrics I had in the shop. This is very cheerful - well done!!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

What a precious little quilt! I always say you have quite the eye for combining just the right fabrics, Diann.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

An adorable mini, Diann!!! Love it with the marigolds/merrygolds!!!

Cathy said...

A perfect cute little topper! I love the X’s and O’s you added!

piecefulwendy said...

Mike is one color-coordinated fella! Gotta love that - and your little mini mini quilt is very cheerful and full of sunshine!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

It's fabulous how you manage to double your fun by finding creative ways to combine/flow two challenges.

Bonnie said...

Oh that little quilt looks so great with your marigolds. It's inspiring.

Sara said...

Your little yellow placemat turned out cute, and you're right - just the right size for the little table.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is a perfect little finish!!!

Kathy S. said...

Getting mini bundles are sew much fun. I love the X and O's stitched into it. Yes, it goes perfectly with the stainless steel cup. It has the summer look to it. Have a great holiday weekend.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Diann, what a lovely mini! It looks great on your porch...and in the garden :-)