Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Thursday, August 3, 2023

Rainbow Neighbourhood is a finish!

Since early in April, I've been focused on creating my very own Rainbow Neighbourhood, from Sandra's QAL at mmmquilts - starting with the very first house...

Sewn on a snowy day!

To the very last binding stitch, taken on the last day of July!


And ta-daaaa!  Welcome to my Rainbow Neighbourhood!



Besides being a bit of a personal diary of what was going on in my life as I made each house, it's also kind of an I Spy quilt - lots of fun things to spy in there!

Snow, raindrops, white clouds, starry skies, spring flowers, birds and bird nests, trees, cats, penguins, rocks, buttons, measuring tapes, scissors, and every color of the rainbow!

I used some more of the Sprinkles wide backing from Connecting Threads, and bound it in the same navy blue as the sashing and borders are made of.


A quilt in the tree photo for Sandra!  💖


And on the bed where you can see the quilting.  I used the serpentine stitch in a 2 inch grid - the 16 inch finished blocks and two inch finished sashings made it easy to keep track of where I needed to go.


Thank you, Sandra, for a delightful pattern and lots of inspiration for how to make each house special!  I enjoyed this QAL so much!

If you'd like to make your own version of the Rainbow Neighbourhood, you can find the pattern here in Sandra's Etsy shop.  It comes with directions for throw and twin size quilts, plus a couple different sizes of pillow covers, too!

Thanks for visiting my Rainbow Neighbourhood!




















21 comments:

Libby in TN said...

The navy sashing and borders really set the houses off beautifully. Great job!

The Cozy Quilter said...

What a wonderful neighbourhood! Who wouldn’t want to live there ? Colourful houses, lots of fun details, and a quilt block on every house! Great finish!!!

PaintedThread said...

It looks great!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Your rainbow neighborhood is awesome! Congrats on the finish :)

Linda said...

What a beautiful masterpiece! I've enjoyed seeing your houses go together. It's hard to believe the first one was done on a snowy day. I think the navy is such a good choice and just sets of those little works of art. How nice that each reflects something going on in your life at the time. It sure made a nice sized quilt. Has anyone claimed it at your house? :D

Jeanna said...

Yay, congratulations on this gorgeous finish. I love each and every block and the blue background really makes the pretty colors pop. Like the quilt in a tree photo, too!

grammajudyb said...

Hooray! Great glamour photos! 😀. It’s just a perfect throw for yourself! I’m anxious to finish mine too!

Nann said...

I've admired the blocks all along the way -- the 'construction' project turned out so well. I've become very fond of using the serpentine stitch.

Kathryn T said...

Just gorgeous and so full of colour and all those other items you mention. It's a winner.

Helenchaffin said...

Absolutely beautiful,luv how each house is detailed with its own uniqueness

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

I love how it turned out, Diann!!! The navy sashing and confetti backing are great final touches!!!

Cathy said...

Wow, so adorable! Rainbow Neighborhood is a total delight! Way to go, Diann.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Turned out great, and having it as an I Spy is an added bonus.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

A lovely setting for a lovely quilt! Congrats on a great finish!

Laura said...

This looks like a neighborhood that I would love to live in! Well done! :)

Kate said...

Such a fun finish! The navy really makes the blocks shine. Congrats on another cute finish.

Vicki in MN said...

That just turned out so cute!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

What a colorful finish! I especially liked the beauty shot of your Neighborhood posed in the tree! Well done! Our local quilt shop is carrying her pattern. I imagine there will be other "neighborhoods" in process soon!

Rose Marie said...

Love your house quilt .... so colourful!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

It is beautiful!! Love it hanging on the fence - it highlights all the different houses!

Susie H said...

Ta! Da! Is right! Great job. I know you enjoyed this QAL, so much joy in each block.