Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Saturday, August 19, 2023

Sunflower Sampler

Earlier this week, I finished up the Mini Sunflower Sampler, designed by Melisa at PinkernPunkin Quilting.  I made it into a small pillow, about 4.5 x 5.5, to go with the collection of bowl fillers I've been working on all summer.


I found the perfect sunflower fabric for the backing!


I had wanted a differently sized pillow to add to the collection, and this works.


Also this week, I ordered another Nurge embroidery hoop to use for cross-stitching.  This one is the extra small size.  These were recommended by Jo at Jo's Country Junction.  I like the square-ish shape.   It was hard to tell how the hoops measured from the Amazon listing, so first I ordered a small, but after it came I found I actually wanted the extra small size.

The inside of the small hoop measures about 5.75 x 6 
and the extra small is about 4.5 x 5.

Meanwhile, I've also put some stitches into Needle Love, and now there's not much left to do on this one!


Sharing at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.










19 comments:

Kate said...

The sunflower sampler turned out really cute, the backing fabric is perfect. Hope you have time for more slow stitching today.

Sarah said...

That hoop will be nice and light to hold for your mini cross stitching. Perfect backing fabric too!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Your bowl is filling up. The sunflower embroidery is a nice addition to your collection. The sunflower fabric is the perfect backing. Your blue embroidery is sew pretty!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I love seeing your bowl fill, Diann. Gorgeous backing fabric too. You have such a good eye for coordinating things. Happy Sunday Stitching!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

How interesting, seems like that square-ish hoop would be easier to hold.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

a bowl full of pin cushions - that looks cute - ready for quick little gifts for your sewing groups or other friends.

Mari said...

The little pillow bowl is such a great idea, and the sunflowers make a perfect backing for your stitching. The tiny square hoop is cute, but I think my fingers would get in the way!

Vicki in MN said...

The larger pillow does add character to the bowl of fillers;) Do you use polyfil for them or are you weighting them down with something?

Angela said...

That really is the perfect fabric!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Love your sunflower sampler pillow and all your pillows!

Karrin Hurd said...

Love your sunflower sampler and all your little pillows. That hoop looks interesting. I think I might need one!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Diann, your Sunflower Sampler looks amazing and you have a bowl full of cuteness. I can thank you enough for stitching my little designs.I hope you enjoyed every stitch. I have never seen a hoop like that; it looks very handy. I think I need one of those for my embroidery. Needle Love is looking so pretty; looking forward to seeing your finish . Have you decided how you are going to finish it? Have a very lovely Sunday.

Linda said...

Your sunflower sampler is really cute, and I love that backing! The stitch embroidery is very pretty. The frame looks like a great size. I struggle with my clamp frame because even the small one is pretty big. Hope you are staying cool!

Susie H said...

Your sunflower sampler is so pretty -- front AND back! I think I'm going to work on her new Squirrel Sampler. How about you?

Jenny said...

Lovely stitching, you have a great selection in your bowl now.

grammajudyb said...

Your Sunflower Sampler turned out so cute. The green threads pick up the.green in your table runner! Very pretty’

Deb A said...

I love your basket of little pillows. That is a great size hoop for those little stitcheries.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Your basket of pillows is a show stopper! Those look like great hoops and your in progress embroidery becomes more beautiful with every stitch!

Jeanna said...

You selected the perfect backing fabric for your Sunflower Sampler. And wasn't it a fun stitch? I think the Nurge is about the only hoop I haven't purchased for cross stitch. I've heard some nice things about them though.