Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, August 2, 2023

I Like Thursday #347

Happy Thursday, friends! Hope you're having a great week!  I'm joining in with I Like Thursday at Not Afraid of Color.   

I like cucumbers!  My little garden is really producing them right now, to the point where I'm not sure what to do with them.  I'm not a canner, but maybe I can find a recipe for refrigerator pickles?  Time to check with Mr. Google.

I think I've picked 4 more since I took this picture!

It's zucchini bread time of year, too, yum!  Younger son and I made a batch using his Ninja Foodi on the air fryer function, and it turned out great - just like the banana bread we tried a few weeks ago.

So tasty with morning coffee!

Do you know what this is?  

It's a disc golf basket or target.  A park near us has a 9 hole disc golf course and we had fun playing a round last Friday.  It's been awhile since we played, but our son enjoys it, so we decided to go with him.  It was fun to try it again after many years away.

On Sunday we took a walk around a newer section of the sculpture park.  Every year about this time, the city installs a few new sculptures.  Here's a favorite that we found this week.
It's called "Roundbottomus Hippopotamus!"

Carole at From My Carolina Home is coordinating a cradle quilt drive to make little quilts for a group of woodcrafters who make wooden toys for children for Christmas.  These little quilts need to be no bigger than 18 inches square, which I think would be a fun size to make, so I decided I want to join in.  I pulled these orphan blocks out of the drawer to see if I could do something with them.   They are 8.75 inches square, so four of them will make a 17 inch square cradle quilt.

But which four to use?

That will be something to decide this week!




















12 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have a disc golf course in our town too but we have not played in years. If I were choosing which four blocks to use, I would pick the bottom four. I like the combo of two cool and two warm coloured blocks. That hippo sculpture Is fun! Gail at the Cozy Quilter

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

we do not have any of the golf areas in our area other than the country clubs golf course. There used to be a miniature golf place years ago but it went out of business. I like your sculptures I always love coming across those in various places we have been when traveling. I think you would like refrigerator pickles they are easy to make and last about 4 months I think in the refrigerator.

Linda said...

Those are nice cukes! Your zucchini bread looks so good, especially on that pretty place mat. I would eat it morning, noon, and night, I love it so much. Especially buttered! We have never played disc golf but it looks like fun. I just watched a video and am amazed at how far folks can throw that disc. Mine usually go straight into the ground, so I know it takes practice. Looking forward to seeing your cradle quilt!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

This is a good Thursday!!!
Hubby did a fridge pickle one year and they were really good.. he used a lot of dill if I remember.....
Love the idea of little quilts for cradles - what a fun challenge

Deb A said...

I've only done the disc golf course my brother helped to create up in Vermont a couple of times years ago. We have some here.... but it is just too darn hot for me! Love the hippo! What a fun place that must be to walk around. There are some great quick pickle recipes out there. I just love them fresh from the garden with some salt and pepper!
Have a great day.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Our previous neighbors were big into golf disc. Often on the weekends, people would be playing! Your little quilt is cute and what a nice pairing it will be with a wooden toy! As for the cucumbers, my husband likes his with a little vinegar and water while I like mine plain!

Angela said...

The hippo is great! My container garden isn't doing great but I have enjoyed one cucumber from it so far.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

A tasty post, Dian. Looks so good and how satisfying to grow your own. Love that hippopotamus looking like he is floating in water. Beautiful little blocks, what a nice project!

Jeanna said...

You are having fun with your son's air fryer. The bread sounds delish. There is a disc (frisbee) golf setup at the park close to my Mom and quite often there are people playing. Those blocks will make an adorable little quilt. Carole and the woodworkers will appreciate it.

grammajudyb said...

Hope you found a recipe or 12 for refrigerator pickles!! We have a disc golf course here too! Love that hippo sculpture! What fun!

Those cradle quilts sound like fun. Do you see that “squirrel?”

PaintedThread said...

I like that hippo! We've had so many cukes, too! I just canned 8 pints of bread and butter pickles. All from 2 plants! Someone ate my soybean plant, though. :-(

chrisknits said...

That hippo is hilarious!! I would use the 4 red/cream blocks, very cohesive.