Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, August 23, 2023

I Like Thursday #350

Happy Thursday, friends!  Hope you're having a great week!  It was my mom's 92nd birthday on Monday, so we celebrated with lunch out at our favorite Mexican restaurant.  Yum!

Happy Birthday, Mom!

I've been complaining for a month now that I can't grow sunflowers here because of the squirrels, but apparently there's one place they haven't noticed and that is in my front flower garden.  Look!

It looks like more blooms are coming, too.

A sunflower emerged in my cross-stitch piece this week, too.  That's always fun!



We heard a funny sound the other day, and looked out to see this female Downy Woodpecker who (we think) thought she might like to get in the birdhouse to make a nest.  She would peck at the hole for awhile and then try to get inside.  Nope, still too small.  After awhile she gave up and flew away.


I read a really good book this week in about three days - I couldn't put it down!

It's one of those where you wonder through the whole book, 
"What would I do if I were in that situation?"

Now I have to figure out what to read next!

I'm joining in with I Like Thursday at Not Afraid of Color







17 comments:

Kate said...

Happy birthday to your mom! Yeah for the home grown sunflower. Happy stitching this week.

Deb A said...

Hope your Mom had a great Birthday. I do love seeing sunflowers. I really need to plant some this fall. Enjoy your Thursday.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Happy Birthday to your mom. she has come a ways from the health issues of a year ago hasn't she. Love Sunflowers, sometimes I let them grow from the scattering of seeds of that drop in the winter bu this year I pulled them out

Susie H said...

Happy Birthday, Mom!!! I'm reading "Killers of a Certain Age" by Deanna Rayburn. It's been a fun read so far and I'm almost finished. I'd recommend it. It quite humorous and you can read about it on GoodReads. I don't plant sunflowers but I almost always have a couple sprout up around my bird feeders. I love them too!

grammajudyb said...

What fun to see the bright yellow sunflower in your front garden. Hooray! Wish I could find a book to capture my attention! I’m going to look for One True Loves. I’m intrigued with the title!

Jeanna said...

Happy Birthday to your Mom...what a blessing! Glad to see your sunflower growing and hope the squirrels stay away.

Angela said...

Your Mom looks terrific! Love that one lone sunflower too!

MissPat said...

Happy Birthday to your Mom. She seems to have made a great recovery. I gave up trying to grow sunflowers. If the rabbits didn't eat the seedling, the deer would chomp off the flower buds.
Pat

LA Paylor said...

mrs woodpecker, tenacious
I will go now to check on that book, I need one I can't put down
trying to visit a few people while the pain is lower... happy week Diann
LeeAnna

Kathryn T said...

Wow your Mom looks really great. Love that sunflower against the blue. Glad it escaped the critters notice! Great you enjoyed the Taylor Jenkins Reid book and hope your next read is great too.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I read that book awhile ago and really enjoyed it. Happy Birthday to your mom who looks wonderful! So happy you got a sunflower after all!

Linda said...

Happy birthday to your pretty, sweet Mom! Did she get full on chips and salsa? Glad you found a sunflower - what a nice surprise. It looks really pretty with the blue flowers. I just read a description of that book and now I'll try to find it!

PaintedThread said...

Yay for sunflowers. I may try to grow them again (but I have lots of hungry critters, too!). Happy birthday to your mom!

Laura said...

Happy, happy birthday to your lovely Mom! She is the same age as my Mom...what a great achievement for both women!
The chipmunks have planted the birdseed everywhere in my yard, so I have sunflowers popping up in the oddest places. So fun! :)

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Happy happy birthday to your dear Mom. Sounds like a very lovely day in ya'lls favorite restaurant. Your sunflower looks amazing and pops with the purple flowers in the background. So glad that the squirrels missed this one. And it is so exciting to see your cross stitch sunflower. Thank you so much, Diann for stitching it. Soon you will have a number of sunflowers in bloom. Have a great weekend. Happy stitching.

Bernie Kringel said...

I enjoyed the Evelyn Hugo book so I bet this one is good too. I will add it to the list.
Happy birthday to your mom!!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

So nice to see your happy looking Mom there Diann. I think you resemble her. What a grand age she is! I enjoyed seeing your blocks in the last post. Making headway, moving projects along which you are so good at. I had a squirrel moment and downloaded a free hexie pattern. Trying to keep my fingers off it for now while I work through my August goals.