Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, August 18, 2023

Finishing up the split 9 patches...

 is one of the things I did with my yellow scraps this week.  Since I have been obsessed with enjoying the local sunflowers lately, I decided to feature one in this block!


Now there are four yellow split 9 patches.


And a rainbow of blocks - 30 of them!  I've made four of each color, except light blue.  Just two of those.  These 30 will make a good kid-sized quilt, about 45 x 54, so I think I will get started sewing them together fairly soon.


Meanwhile, I got started on a little squirrel project based on a request from my niece who would like two placemats with blue, red, and yellow in them.  I used the last of my strawberry print on blue as the inspiration fabric, and added a red, a yellow, and a white.  Now I have four each of 4.5 inch squares, four patches, and framed squares.


Right now, I'm playing with layouts - something like this, maybe?

I'm making two exactly alike - except I'm thinking I will bind one
in the red and one in the yellow.   This is a fun little project!

Sharing at SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday and at 







 










20 comments:

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Cute placemat project. Your yellow blocks are so bright and cheery, will make a great rainbow quilt.

Michele McLaughlin said...

love your split nine patches! Especially the one with the sunflower! You keep inspiring me with these projects! Thanks Diann! PS, I don't know if I commented on your other post but your previous post with the bunny laying down really impacted me. That is a whole lot of heat :( Poor baby and poor you'all. Hugs!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Love the yellow blocks! So happy and great use of the sunflower! :) But I am a little partial to sunflowers. Fun start of your strawberry project too.

Linda said...

How pretty are those split nine-patches, love the fussy cut. Love the direction you're going with the placemats - so pretty!

Kate said...

Those split patch blocks are so cute. That one will make a lovely rainbow quilt. The placemats are going to be fun too. Happy stitching this weekend.

Deb A said...

What a fun project those placemats are! I need to work on my split nines today. Love your sunny yellows.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have been seeing a lot of sunflowers photos and on quilts recently - it looks great!!

maggie fellow said...

very nice in yellow and the placemats will be fun

Jill at emeraldcottage said...

The placemats will be lovely!

Sara said...

The Split 9-patch blocks will make a delightful kid quilt. So cute! Your niece will love her placemats. That strawberry print is perfect.

Cathy said...

I love all your Split Nines and am curious to see which setting you ultimately choose!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Those split nines look great! The squirrel project is progressing extremely well!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

That split 9-patch is going to be so cute!!!

grammajudyb said...

Oh those split nine-patches! So so pretty! And the arrangement of the colors for the placement is perfect!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Fun new project, it's going to be cheerful and lovely!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

What a lovely little rainbow of split nine patches! There is a field of sunflowers near here where people can pick their own for a small price. I love going past it, must remember to take a photo. Custom placemats will be such a nice gift for your niece, especially since they're so pretty! Have a good week.

Susie H said...

Nice job on the Split 9s. Looking forward to seeing your final layout on them. You've shared several over the months. Your niece is going to love those placemats. I like the idea of an "almost identical" pair. Perfect!

Jan said...

Those split nine patches are really lovely, especially the little sunflower one!

Jeanna said...

I love the split nine patch blocks and the fussy cut sunflower is so fun!

The Joyful Quilter said...

LOVE those YELLOW Split 9-Patch blocks, Diann! Have fun with that other cheerful quilt, too.