Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, August 4, 2023

Getting started with yellow...

After finishing the Rainbow Neighbourhood quilt on the very last day of July, I was ready to start playing with some yellow scraps for August.  My temporary sewing nook is in a corner of our master bedroom, and I had fun spreading out and seeing what I could make with my current yellow stash.


What I've ended up with so far are these blocks:

A split 9 patch, two zipper blocks, three bowties 
(plus pieces cut for two more to stitch up), and a yellow crumb block.
I'd like to make three more split 9s and one more zipper block, but that might require a little stash enhancement - we'll see!

Speaking of the split 9 patches, I saw a layout using them that I was inspired to try, and here's how it looks so far.

I really like this!

I even used some yellow embroidery floss as I worked on this little cross-stitch design, the Mini Sunflower Sampler from Melisa at PinkernPunkin Quilting.  Along with the two bowties that are left to hand-piece, this will be my slow stitching project for the weekend.


Sharing at SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday and at 
Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.

 










18 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

The asymmetric barn raising layout is a favourite of mine. It really makes your split nine patches shine. Yellow embroidery floss definitely counts for yellow month!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I call that an Offset Diamond setting. I have a pdf of several settings I did in EQ8 using that block, let me know if you'd like one.

PaintedThread said...

One of my first quilt projects was a table runner with that 9patch. I never made that pattern again because it looked boring - but your quilt looks great! I may have to reconsider using that block again. :-)

Deb A said...

Love the layout of the split nines! I saw one last week that was neat too. You are making great use of your space.

Libby in TN said...

I love a split-9. Yours is coming along nicely. Don't know why I've never made one. Going on my bucket list!

MissPat said...

See - there's a benefit to having to sew in the bedroom. Easy access to the design bed. The drawback, of course, is having to clear it off every night. There are so many possible layout for the split 9-patches. Fun to experiment and I like that you used multiple neutrals instead a of a single background.
Pat

Dorothy L. Wills said...

Nice variety of blocks! Love how the split 9 is looking!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Such bright happy blocks. You are staying busy in your quilting nook. The Split 9 Patch is looking amazing and it is so exciting to see your progress on the Sunflower Sampler, Diann. Thank you so much for stitching it. Hugs.

Jenny said...

You've made a good start stitching happy yellow blocks.

Kate said...

Very fun sunny yellow scrap blocks. The split 9 patch quilt is really cute. Enjoy your scrappy stitching this week.

Linda said...

Your yellow blocks are so pretty and cheerful. I really like that 9 patch layout. Are you slow stitching today? :)

Chantal said...

I like your temporary sewing nook. It looks so cosy and has a great design surface too. My favourite block is the 9-Patch blocks in all their variations. I love this layout and your blocks turn it into a cheerful quilt. Well done. ;^)

Sarah said...

I do like the layout of the split 9 patch blocks. Its a great block too, I've never used it but I might make one to keep as a reminder!

CathieJ said...

I love the Split 9 patch layout that you have. All those yellow blocks are very pretty. The yellow cross-stitched flower is so pretty. Enjoy your stitching!

Vicki in MN said...

Your split 9 patch layout is great, that is similar to what I think I will do some day;) So glad you figured out a way to keep on sewing by setting it up in your bedroom.

Jeanna said...

Your yellow blocks are pretty. I love the look of the zipper blocks and the split 9 patch block.

Susie H said...

That is a nice razzle, dazzle layout for the Split 9s. I love it too! You're making great progress on your RSC yellow blocks. Happy to hear & see you've managed to cut out a space for your quilting. We need our "happy place".

Nann said...

I really like that setting for the split 9's, too!