Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Sunday, December 25, 2016

My Top 5 of 2016

Cheryl, at Meadow Mist Designs, is hosting a link-up this week where we are invited to share our top 5 blog posts of the year.  I had fun writing up this type of post a year ago, so thought I'd join in again this year!  If you want to read more about other bloggers' best of 2016, check out the link up over at Cheryl's blog starting tomorrow, December 26th..

I was amazed to see that this will be my 120th post this year!  Wow!

1.  I ended 2015 blogging about this quilt, and began 2016 with it as well.  It is my Scrap Vortex quilt, which I finished at the very beginning of January, after working on it throughout 2015.  You can read more about it here.

This post got lots of views and lots of comments!  I really love this quilt and had a great time making it - it definitely stretched my scrappy quilt-making skills!

2.  I participated in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge for the first time this year, and it has been lots of fun, both creating my own chosen blocks for projects throughout the year, and also getting to know the other quilters who participate.  Being part of the RSC this year has lead me to blog more and to try all kinds of different blocks and designs - big and small.  Two of my RSC projects are on their way to being finished, a 16 patch quilt and Scrap Jar Stars.  

Read about the 16 Patch flimsy here


and my Scrap Jar Stars here


3.  My post titled Unexpected, back in April, told about my experience with falling and breaking my wrist.  No fun at all!  But I sure appreciated my bloggy friends who offered lots of encouragement for me to continue sewing through the healing process.


4.  In spite of my broken wrist, I was able to finish this wall-hanging, that I called "Circle of Friendship,"  for a special friend for her 60th birthday in May.  I loved working on this piece, and am proud that my HST skills have really improved this year!


5.  And finally, I tried some improv quilting this year!  I participated in the Crosscut quilt-along on Instagram with Debbie from A Quilter's Table, and made this piece, called Cream and Crimson.  You can read more about my process here.


It's been a fun and busy year in my sewing room and on my blog.  I'm so happy to have tried new things and made new quilting friends throughout the year.  Here's to a great 2017, friends!








17 comments:

margaret said...

so good to see these makes, having not been following you long most of them are new to me. I love scrap quilts off tohave a closer look now

Ariane said...

These are all beautiful projects. You had a great year. Glad you recovered from your injury. Hopefully 2017 brings lots of quilting opportunities for you. Happy New Year!!

Kate said...

Other than the broken wrist, you had a great year on the stitching front. Wishing you equal success in 2017.

Jan @Cocoa Quilts said...

Diane, these are all beautiful projects, other than the wrist. Can't wait to see what 2017 brings.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I am so glad you had a lot of support when you broke your wrist, and I hope it has healed well. Beautiful work! I hope you have a lovely last week of 2016 and a wonderful 2017.

Shannon said...

I love your scrappy quilts. Especially the scrap vortex one. I can see why it was so popular!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Some lovely finishes here Diann! Your 'scrap jar stars' is my favourite!

Mari said...

Great 2016! Here's hoping for an equally great 2017!

Linda said...

Wonderful projects! And I admire your perseverance in spite of your injury to keep "making"!

Cheryl said...

Great projects! I look forward to seeing what you create in 2017 and thanks for linking up to the Best of 2016 linky party!

Bernie Kringel said...

Great projects Diane. Love the improv table topper. I was so tempted to join that QAL but I just had too many irons in the fire. Happy New Year!!

claudia said...

I am so happy I came across your blog late this year and in reading it, got to know you. I will be joining the RSC in the new year, so will be looking forward to having that interaction with all the wonderful bloggers out there on the "internets".
BTW I love your sixteen patch quilt!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

It was great fun looking back on the lovely projects you made in 2016. You really did finish a lot! I can't wait to see what you will be up to in the coming year. You know I will be following along!

LA Paylor said...

The circle of Friendship (stars) caught my eye, what a nice design. Creating circles with sharp HST's.

Judy @ Sew Some Sunshine said...

I love your projects, especially the scrappy jar stars. Great work, thank you for sharing!

Susan said...

I can see why Scrap Vortex is a favorite - well done! Stay safe, and Happy New Year

Jayne Honnold said...

Good stuff! I made some changes in the pattern, but Circle of Friends is one I'm very familiar with! I made 8 as Christmas gifts in 2015. I'm impressed that you finished with a broken wrist!