Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Sunday, December 18, 2016

Charming Plus Flimsy

Back in October, I started this little quilt because I've been wanting to make a plus quilt, and Tisha at Quilty Therapy was having a quilt along.  After a few stops and starts, I've actually finished the flimsy, and just in time for Christmas!


The Christmas fabric is a charm pack of North Woods by Kate Spain, and the pluses are various low volume scraps from my stash. 


It was fun to combine dark and light holiday prints with my dark and light scraps in mostly gray tones.  I love the pops of dark green and red in this fabric, but I like the effect the lighter colors give it as well.  


In keeping with the scrappiness of the flimsy, I dug through my drawer of Christmas fabric for a pieced backing.


I ended up deciding to use some penguins and peppermints!


This will be a small quilt - about 36 x 42.  I think it will be fun to throw over the back of my red chair in the living room at Christmas time!

My goal this week is to get it quilted and be stitching down the binding next Saturday on Christmas Eve.  I'm looking forward to that!







5 comments:

Libby in TN said...

Simple and sweet. Can't imagine why you'd have penquin fabric, tho ....

Linda said...

Love this so much! The penguin fabric - omg! :)
I've decided Christmas fabric is my favorite. I can't stop buying it!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

I had to laugh at penguins AND peppermints? Perfect! :)

Vicki in MN said...

It turned out super cute! Nice to have a Christmas quilt that doesn't scream Christmas but still is! Perfect backing-penquins!

Kate said...

Very pretty holiday quilt. The backing fabrics are fun. Hope you get it done in time to enjoy it for this Christmas.