Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, December 30, 2016

RSC 2016 - Wrapping Up

2016 was my first year to participate in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, and it has been a great experience for so many reasons!  I have enjoyed having a goal to meet every week, and trying lots of different blocks and techniques.  It has been so much fun to link up every Saturday and see what other quilters who are participating have been working on.  And the best part of all - getting to be friends with other quilters who enjoy working from their scrap bins in a rainbow of colors - and being so inspired every week!

So, what did I accomplish this year with my RSC projects?

I have one completed flimsy of 16 patch blocks - this one is ready to layer, baste, and quilt, as soon as I find the right backing for it!


My Scrap Jar Stars quilt is just about to the completed flimsy stage - this week I worked on stitching up the blocks into rows and adding the borders around the outside.  More on that in tomorrow's post!


I ended up joining in on the Monkey Wrench block-making experience, and there are 29 of those little guys hanging on my design wall right now.  Hopefully they will stay put and not cause any trouble while they are waiting for more friends to join them!


And I have a big pile of Double 4-patch blocks that I haven't decided how to proceed with.  Maybe they will make some donation baby quilts, as soon as I figure out how best to put them together!


Looking ahead to 2017 - what plans do I have?

I will definitely plan to quilt up my two flimsies into finished quilts, and continue to make Monkey blocks until I have enough of those to do something with!

I'm also planning to make more Maple Leaf blocks in our colors of the month this year - these are fun and fast to make and I think would be beautiful in a variety of sizes and colors.


And, with inspiration from this photo (I think it came from Facebook) - 


I'm planning to make lots of string blocks, and hope to turn them into a String Star quilt.  Each block will have a white piece through the middle, and then there will be a variety of blocks made - low volume fabrics, half low volume and half in a color, and all in a color, like this - below - 


And we'll see what happens!

Thanks again to all of you for the inspiration and entertainment I find in your blogs every week!  Happy New Year!  May 2017 be a wonderful year for you!







17 comments:

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I have enjoyed your RSC projects this year and I am really excited to see that string quilt come together next year.

Happy 2017 my friend!

Kate said...

All of your scrap projects have been fun to watch develop. My favorite is your Jar Star blocks. Looking forward to seeing all your current projects and new project come together in 2017. Happy New Year!

Libby in TN said...

You've really knocked out some knockout scrap projects this year! I'm glad I found your blog this year. You have been an inspiration. Happy New Year, My Friend.

Vicki in MN said...

You had a good year of projects. I am looking forward to your string quilt.

Pamela Arbour said...

Your quilts are lovely. You have inspired me to try my hand at the 16 patch blocks and the maple leaf. I think you are right about the maple leaf blocks, they should make up beautifully in a quilt with all the different colors.

Cathy said...

OMG, I am dying over that string quilt you have planned! That is gorgeous! Of course, I am already mid-stream in another plan, so it’s too late to change course this year. But my NEXT string quilt...... Anyway, dear Diann, you had a great year and I’m glad you joined us; it’s been fun getting to know you. Wishing you all the best in 2017! xo.

Kathy S. said...

Lots of fun projects to start off 2017i I love the string quilt idea! Happy new year. I look forward to following along with your projects!

Chantal said...

Congratulations for getting your (many) RSC2016 projects so far along. Love that Scrap Jar Star! And the 16 patch blocks turned into a wonderful quilt too. The new string block project is very interesting. Love the design you have chosen. Happy New Year! ;^)

Deb A said...

Such great plans you have for 2017 after a very successful 2016 in the quilt studio. It has been so fun to watch you play with scraps this year. Your scrappy quilt tops all came out great! Hope those Monkeys don't get into too much trouble on the design wall.

The Joyful Quilter said...

You really used up a BUNCH of scraps this year!! I look forward to seeing how your projects progress in 2017. Have a Scrappy New Year!!

Katie Z. said...

You've got some great blocks going!

gayle said...

Both your RSC projects turned out beautifully! (I'm especially fond of that Scrap Jar Stars!)
And your monkeys always make me smile! (My monkeys send their regards. Loudly, I might add...)
I'm looking forward to watching your leaves, and those strings are going to be fabulous!
Scrappy new year!

Alison V. said...

WOW! You worked on so many different projects and used so much scrap! That's amazing! Can't wait to see what you'll be up to next year.

scraphappy said...

What an amazing year you have had! So many pretty blocks put together. Looking forward to another great rainbow scrap challenge next year.

PaulaB quilts said...

I've really enjoyed getting to know you. Everything you put on your posts is positive, friendly and complimentary to others. You bring us smiles. Thanks, Diann. That is some fantastic string quilt. Good luck and Happy New Year!

PaintedThread said...

I am always a sucker for strings - I LOVE the design of your string quilt. Looks great!

Magpie Sue said...

I'm thinking of a rainbow 16 patch set of blocks this year so it's fun to see yours. Good luck with your scrap jar stars, they're lovely.