Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Circle of Friendship

Back in March I posted about some secret sewing I was doing for a friend for her birthday.  I had a deadline for this project, and I just about made it - then I broke my wrist, and everything was set aside for awhile. Well, I decided this week that I thought I could finish this project - and I did! Just a little bit of hand-stitching left to finish up the binding this afternoon!

This is Circle of Friendship - measuring about 24 inches square.  It is made from four fat quarters of Woodlands by Jo Morton and some yardage of Kona Snow.


Here's a close-up of the fabrics I used.  I love their muted rainbow, and they seemed perfect for my friend and the colors she likes in her quilts and her home.



I was inspired by this quilt made by Paige at Quilted Blooms.  Her post mentioned this tutorial by Quiltsocial.com for the Friendship Star Wreath, and I used the tutorial to make my quilt. I have made the Friendship Star block before, but loved the wreath shape that is created by the setting of the blocks.


Of course, I had to make a scrappy binding for this mini!


And this afternoon I'll be indulging in some slow Sunday stitching to finish up the binding by hand.  I'm excited to give my friend her gift when I see her tomorrow.  Her birthday was earlier this month, and it's still May, so that's not too bad!

Linking up over at Quilting is More Fun than Housework for some scrappy inspiration this afternoon!



10 comments:

gayle said...

What a wonderful gift for your friend! Enjoy the binding! (Which means you're healing enough to do handwork, right? Yay!)

Vicki in MN said...

That caught my eye right away when I saw it over on Cynthia's Oh Scrap. Your friend is gonna be very happy!

Chantal said...

Very lovely Diann. Love the fabric you chose. I'm sure your friend will love this. ;^)

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a wonderful gift!! Where did you find that pattern?

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Wonderful finish. It will be a surprise to your friend and I am sure much loved. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Ivani said...

Your friend will love it. Very well done Diann.

Ivani said...

Your friend will love it. Very well done Diann.

Mari said...

So pretty! What a lucky friend.

Magpie Sue said...

I love that setting for friendship stars! Lucky friend of yours. :-)

Paige said...

I know your friend was thrilled! Excellent workmanship and great idea for the binding using all of the star fabrics. Thank you for linking to my post.