Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Saturday, December 10, 2016

Snowflake Pillow

When I saw Amanda Jean's Snowflake Block over on her blog, Crazy Mom Quilts, I knew it would be a great gift idea for my quilt group's Christmas gift exchange.  Click HERE for the tutorial, if you are interested in making one yourself!

I used scraps of the white on white Bubbles from my Beautiful Blossoms quilt and a pretty dark blue with lighter blue branches and flowers on it.  It's hard to photograph, but hopefully you'll be able to see!


This is made in four identical pieces, and then they are connected with the white sashing to create a snowflake shape.  I had to laugh the first time I got everything sewn together, because I forgot to look back at the tutorial, and ended up with this - 


It looked kind of neat, but was definitely not what I had planned!  So, out came the seam ripper, and after I got everything put back together correctly, I added some batting and quilted away.


Since I knew I wanted to make a pillow out of this block, I pulled a fun swirly blue and white fabric from my stash which I thought was perfect for the back - 


I made an envelope backing for the pillow and stuffed in an 18 inch pillow form to finish everything off!


Next Thursday is our get together, and it will be fun to see who ends up with my pillow!  I definitely enjoyed making it, and aren't those the best gifts to give?!

Linking up in all my favorite places - 
Oh Scrap!  on Sunday  

See you there!







16 comments:

Libby in TN said...

Sweet! I'd be happy to get it! Had to laugh at your first attempt.

Mari said...

Pretty! Someone will be thrilled to get this! I actually like the first one too, though it would be an odd snowflake,

Cathy said...

Oh wow! That is awesome! May I join your quilt group? LOL

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Great winter pillow. I love that snowflake design!

Ariane said...

I love it! It looks great! You can make the other design for halloween.

Chantal said...

Perfect winter pillow. It can stay out til the beginning of March. Wonderful work. It's awesome. There might be a fight over this one. Congrats on the finish. ;^)

June D said...

Very nice pillow!

gayle said...

I love it! Though your first attempt looked more like a spiderweb than a snowflake... 8)

Linda said...

I lol'd at your first attempt - but yes it is pretty too! :) Love this pillow, great colors.
I just made a pillow for my daughter and struggled through stuffing it with a pillow form, then sewing the top with a hidden stitch - why oh why didn't I think of an envelope??? I know better!!

PaulaB quilts said...

What a clever idea for a winter pillow. The subtle prints give it interest also. Your first version was okay, but it's a good thing you checked. How many times have we done that? All my upside down mistakes. Well, that's what a ripper is for. There will be one happy recipient at your meeting.

Vicki in MN said...

I love the pillow-think I can come out to your meeting and take your pillow home, LOL Thanks for the link I have to check it out, I used to follow her blog all the time. So many blogs so little time!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Oh this is so pretty! :)

Angie said...

What a fun gift - I'd have a hard time giving it away!

The Joyful Quilter said...

AWESOME!! That pillow can easily be displayed through the winter months. PERFECT for your exchange gift!!

Kate @ Smiles From Kate said...

Hehe, so funny, we all make mistakes but not all of us dare to admit to them. Perseverance counts though, and you ended up with a lovely pillow.

Kate said...

Very pretty! Love that dark blue with the white. I bet it's a sought after gift.