Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Saturday, December 31, 2016

Time Out!

I think it is Murphy's Law that says if something can go wrong, it will.  That is what happened with my Scrap Jar Stars quilt this week!

This is the photo I posted last week with all of the blocks, sashing, and cornerstones laid out.


I can see now that the problem was already there, but I didn't realize it until I had gotten this far - 3 rows completely sewn together, and the fourth and fifth ones ready to be sewn on, as well.  Can you tell what it is?


The top right and bottom right blocks are oriented wrong.  Every other block has the 16 patch in the middle oriented so that a colorful 2 inch square is in the top left corner, not a white square, except for those two blocks.  ;(  This has happened every time I laid out the completed blocks for a photo all through the year - you'd think I would have been paying attention before I started sewing. *Sigh.*


Now, I am not a perfectionist with my quilting; usually I'm in the "Done is better than perfect" camp.  But this just really bothered me!  So...

I put this quilt in Time Out for about 24 hours!  Lol!  It was time to work on something that required very little thinking - some string blocks perhaps, or something with my basket of bonus triangles.


But, after a little break, out came the seam ripper! (for the umpteenth time this month, it seems.)  And here is where I am right now - ready to sew the block and sashing strip back in as soon as I fill a new bobbin.  I guess my Scrap Jar Stars and I will have a New Year's Eve party together down in my sewing room!


Then I can start 2017 with all the stars aligned!  ☺

Linking up with the first Oh Scrap! of 2017 over at Quilting is More Fun than Housework.  Wishing you smooth sewing as the year begins!




11 comments:

Libby in TN said...

It didn't seem that critical to me, but I know how you feel. It would niggle you till Kingdom comes! Two quick questions -- how bid are the squares in your 16-patch? And did you use the same background throughout?

Linda said...

I tried to see the problem, but it's not clear to me - I must be pretty dense! But I relate to your distress over it. :)

Vicki in MN said...

I certainly didn't notice and it didn't bother me even after you pointed it out. But since it bothered you it was a good thing to just fix it and be done:-) I love your statement that now your stars are all aligned! Happy New Year!

Jayne said...

I couldn't see it until you pointed it out! I think I would have done what you did and fix it, but not without a lot of back and forth conversations with myself!

Chantal said...

I am with Jayne on this one. After seeing it, you just can't "un-see" it and let it go. I so understand that! It a lot of unpleasant work to de-construct but you will be much happier with yourself after. (Love that quilt so much!) ;^)

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

I couldn't see it at first :) What a bother but in the end you'll be pleased with it. Happy New Year!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I am pretty quick to justify those type of things as a design element. Or maybe I am just lazy! But it is always good to fix those things that bother you. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Kate said...

It wasn't that obvious, but if see something like that I'm compelled to fix it too. Hope you had a very nice part with the stars and got them all aligned before 2017 took hold.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

It wasn't too obvious really! Glad you had the patience & time for a spot of reverse sewing with the quick-unpick!

barbara woods bewtjw@gmail.com said...

Love those stars

barbara woods bewtjw@gmail.com said...

Love those stars