Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

I Like Thursday #11 - the Comics Edition

Something LeeAnna said in her post the other day made me think about how much I enjoy reading the comics in the newspaper every morning.  I can't remember when I started, but I'm sure it was during the time when I first started teaching 5th grade.  There's just something about starting your day off with a little chuckle that makes everything seem possible!

Here are three comics that I never miss -

Baby Blues -


Having had little kids in my house once upon a time, I get a lot of chuckles reading about the adventures of this young family!

Zits - 


For people who have raised teenage boys!

Pickles - 


This is my stage of life now!

If you ever make it to Santa Rosa, California, I recommend the Charles Schulz Museum.  Charles Schulz was the creator of the Peanuts comic strip and he was a very interesting person.  We visited his museum when we were in California this past fall.  


If you'd like to find out more, check out this link - schulzmuseum.org

And on a not so comic note, I signed up for the daily emails from The Writer's Almanac after LeeAnna's recommendation last week, and I really like it!  Another thing I find I am enjoying starting my day with is a poem, and some info on this day in history.  Tuesday's poem was especially beautiful - 

Winter: Tonight: Sunset 

Tonight at sunset walking on the snowy road,
my shoes crunching on the frozen gravel, first

through the woods, then out into the open fields
past a couple of trailers and some pickup trucks, I stop

and look at the sky. Suddenly: orange, red, pink, blue,
green, purple, yellow, gray, all at once and everywhere.

I pause in this moment at the beginning of my old age
and I say a prayer of gratitude for getting to this evening

a prayer for being here, today, now, alive
in this life, in this evening, under this sky.
❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

I do say a prayer of gratitude for being here today, and wish you a wonderful Thursday and a great rest of the week!  Happy New Year!




4 comments:

Libby in TN said...

We gave up the newspaper several years ago. I don't miss the news, but I DO miss the comics (and Sunday coupon sections). I had a specific sequence for reading my favorites, same as yours, then working the puzzles. My day didn't start until the last number went into Sudoku.

LA Paylor said...

Like libby, I gave up the newspaper but I did it because of allergies to newsprint. I started with comics, and liked the ones you mention. Then the puzzles of course.
About the poem, I have been stunned into stillness by the night sky before. Colors so intense that if you painted them, someone would say that's not real!
thanks again for linking up with the I Likes posts. I like that we're in this together! LeeAnna

Kate said...

I never tire of reading the comics. We don't get our paper till the evening, so it's common to find one of us laughing just before dinner.

Linda said...

What a funny, lovely post! I enjoyed the poem very much; kind of modern day-Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening-ish. I experienced that stillness on our new deck the other evening - it was incredible.