Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Thursday, December 1, 2016

I Like Thursday #7 - the Cloth Edition

Fabric, material, cloth, textiles - whatever you might call them - being a quilter, many of the things I like are made of these!

I like cloth napkins!  Quite a few years ago, my quilt group decided to do some fabric dying, and we all ended up with a bunch of rainbow dyed fat quarters.  I didn't take photos of all of my projects back then, but I sure wish I had so I could share that bundle of goodness here on my blog.  I made a quilt out of a lot of my dyed fabric, but also started making cloth napkins out of what was leftover.  Now I have a basket full of cloth napkins - 

Some are the much-loved and washed hand dyed ones, and others have been gifts or made out of a favorite pattern I found.  Right now my favorites are the Christmas-y ones!


As soon as Thanksgiving is over, I start pulling out the little quilted Christmas decorations that I've made over the years and using them everyday on my dining room table and all through the house.


I love snuggling up under this Christmas quilt hanging on the back of the chair!  It was made out of a Layer Cake of  Aspen Frost by Basic Grey, from the Layer Cake Lemonade pattern (a free pattern from the Fat Quarter Shop) a few years ago.  A simple pattern, but a quilt I really have enjoyed.  You can see the full quilt in the photo at the top of my blog.

We had a great Thanksgiving road trip to see our kids.  One of the things I like to do when we travel is visit the quilt shops.  (Doesn't everyone?!)  There are three of them in the areas where my kids live in Nebraska and Kansas that I can't miss.  I usually pick up some fat quarters at each one, if nothing else.  Here is one I found on this trip - 


 Having the names of all the states with their state flower looks fun and unique!  I'm adding this to my growing collection of text fabric - 


These are fun to use in lots of different ways.  I've fussy cut out of several of these to make blocks for my RSC16 projects, as well as used them to make gifts for friends.


I love it when the fabric has some kind of positive message on it.


"Laugh more often, Trust, Enjoy the journey, I love my family, Eat more chocolate," are just a few.  All good advice, and true!

At a quilt shop in Sonoma, California, in October, I found this little kit.  I hardly ever sew from kits anymore, but I just had to have this one!


You can probably see why!  ☺  

Happy Thursday, everyone!  Hope you are having a great week!  For more "I like" inspiration, be sure to check out LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color.  Her blog is one of my favorites!







5 comments:

LA Paylor said...

a little basket just right for napkins! Fab!
Love words on fabric. I collect them too. The kit was a must buy. LeeAnna

Libby in TN said...

Well, duh, I'd have been surprised if you passed up THAT kit! I do cloth napkins, too; a habit picked up from my mother who could squeeze a dollar our of a nickel. She used wooden clothespins with our names written on them instead of napkin rings.

claudia said...

I like the fabric with words too. They always catch my eye when I am amongst bolts of fabrics. You got some good stash there in your travels. (My daughter thinks she's putting me on a fabric diet...hah!)
That kit is perfect!!!

Linda said...

Thanks for sharing some of your beloved holiday decorations. I got some of mine out yesterday. Won't be putting up a tree this year, but seeing my Christmas treasures makes me happy!
Love that kit! Sometimes we just have to indulge. ;)
Do you have a napkin tutorial? I know it is probably a simple thing to sew cloth napkins, but if you have any tips to share I would welcome them! I love the idea and have a little container near our table just waiting to be filled with them. :)

Kate said...

Beautiful holiday decorations. I need to make some holiday mug rugs to use on our tables, I really like that holiday tree you've got.