Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Thursday, August 29, 2024

Table Scraps for August

My small finishes for August were inspired by this chunk of fabric - 

Pretty fall leaves in orange, birds, and acorns!

and some orphan blocks - 

I saw these on someone's blog in the last few years and had to make a few,
but lost interest.  It's a lot of little pieces in a small block!

While you might be thinking that I combined the above items into one project, I actually ended up with two.   The August color of the month for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge is orange, so it wasn't too hard to include that, but the additional challenge from Joy was to include baskets and that I struggled with.  Basket blocks?  An embroidered basket?  I couldn't come up with something that inspired me!  Until I thought about making something three dimensional.  

Then I remembered this tutorial from Freemotion By the River, and turned my fall leaf print into a fabric basket!


I've been using a plastic left over dish for a thread and trash bin on my sewing table, but this will be a lot prettier!


I used the six scrappy blocks to make a table topper.  I enjoy making small quilted pieces for around our house - they get a lot of use and are washed and dried a lot.  It never hurts to have a new one!  

There is really every color of the rainbow in this one - so maybe you can see some orange here and there!  

The backing is cut out of the little penguin print that Nann sent me.  They do have adorable orange beaks and feet!


Sharing at the August Table Scraps link-up at the Joyful Quilter 
and at Alycia Quilts for Finished or Not Friday.
ScrapHappy Saturday at SoScrappy













 

19 comments:

Kate said...

Your basket turned out beautifully! That brown works so well with the bird floral fabric. Very fun table topper. What a great way to use up those orphan blocks.

Linda said...

That pretty fabric! Love the basket, and yes it is better than the plastic left over dish - lol! The table topper is really pretty and those orphans now have a home. Nicely done Diann!

Jeanna said...

You were very successful with the August RSC. The fabric basket is also great for cross stitch orts. I've seen them at retreats. Have a great weekend, Diann.

Kat Scribner said...

You could make lots more of those scrappy squares. They would make a great design for a quilt.

Nann said...

What a cute little basket! Glad you could put the penguin print to use, too.

Preeti said...

Very cute and such a cozy home you make, Diann!

grammajudyb said...

A perfect use for your six small blocks! Cute backing fabric too! That’s a great idea for a thread and trash bin. I use a small plastic coffee can! (Ugly)!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I think your basket turned out great. I really like those and I should make some but I never do!

PaintedThread said...

Pretty fall fabric. I made a bunch of those little baskets from that tutorial. Fun stuff!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Indeed, a pretty fabric basket is a much better thread catcher! Now you need one for every season, LOL!!

Deb A said...

Two great projects! I have a basket like that made years ago in blue and yellow. It is a great holder of many things (even pins and needles!).

Sara said...

Two for one! Such a cute basket!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

What a great solution to Joy's challenge! I like that table mat too! You rocked this challenge!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Great substitution for your thread and scrap collection. No reason why functional can't be fashionable as well.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Super cute projects, Diann! Your basket is a definite improvement over the plastic dish and your new table mat turned out great. Enjoy!

Sue said...

Lovely little scrappy table topper! Great use of the orphans.

Susie H said...

I have some of that fall fabric and I'm still in love with it too! You did a great interpretation of the "basket" and so practical!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Two cute as a button projects!!! Beautiful job, Diann. Those little blocks are adorable and made a fabulous table quilt.

Anonymous said...

Diann, what a great result this month. I absolutely love your starting fabric - most appealing! And you finished two projects, both beautiful. Well done.
Jane in Australia