Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Sunday, August 18, 2024

Pieces of My Life QAL - Wedding (Ring) Day

I am finally getting a chance to share my Wedding Ring block - the next block for Melva's Pieces of My Life QAL!  As most of the blocks for this project have been, this block is one I've never made before, which is always interesting to me.  I wanted some orange in the quilt, since August is orange month in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, but ended up with more of a peach shade.  It's all good, though - August is also the month that Colorado peaches are in season.  Yum!


Our wedding was a friends and family event.  Both of us had family members as our attendants.  A friend of my MIL made our cake.  A friend of my dad's took the pictures.  My college roommates and high school friends provided the music.  Other friends served the cake.  My mom and dad walked me down the aisle together.  It was a good and happy day!


As I was looking through our wedding pictures, and deciding which ones to pick to share, I decided this one taken with my grandmother, had to be included.  This is my Grandma Dorothy, my mom's mom.  She lived to meet our sons, her great grandchildren, and we enjoyed lots of good times together.  I'm so glad to remember her at our wedding, because my dad's parents were gone by then.


The other thing I've been working on this week is putting together the second section of blocks for the quilt.  Here is how things are looking for the top half of the quilt.  This went together really quickly after cutting the sashing pieces because it's basically just a flip of the first section layout, and it all made sense to me!  Next step is to put the layers together and get this part quilted.

There will be sashing in between the sections to connect them, 
which I haven't planned for yet.   It would be great to get more of the floral focus fabric for the sashing - better go check at my LQS!

Thanks for visiting today!  I'm linking up with Melva Loves Scraps for Sew and Tell Monday.  And at Quiltfabrication for Midweek Makers.


















14 comments:

Anonymous said...

You both look so young in your wedding pictures! When I look at our pictures, I guess we do too…
I hope you can find mor of your focus fabric to use for the binding. Gail at the cozy quilter

Kate said...

It's been fun to watch this project come together. Very fun wedding photos. Such a cute couple!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Happy Anniversary! sounds like a nice family wedding

Jeanna said...

LOVE love love the wedding photos. The wedding ring block turned out great. I don't think I've seen that design before.

Laura said...

Thank you for sharing your wedding photos! They are such treasures! I love your husband's hair! :)

Deb A said...

I love it when you share photo's of your life! The quilt is coming along nicely as well. Enjoy your week.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Those are such wonderful wedding photos, Diann. Your Grandma looks so proud of you. You indeed found your soulmate. Your latest block looks fabulous in the peachy color- a perfect addition to the blocks. Hope you have a great week. Hugs.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

I enjoyed your wedding photos! The two of you sure look happy!

Linda said...

What a pretty block! I love your "friends and family" wedding. Your wedding photos are so sweet, and I love that one with your Grandmother. Isn't it wonderful she got to have great-grands!

Nann said...

Happy anniversary! Such fun to see the photos and hear the stories. That is a different wedding ring version -- it will work nicely in the sampler quilt.

Astrid said...

Happy Anniversary! Love seeing your wedding photos and the story behind it. Great wedding ring block, I don't think I've seen it before. The sampler blocks are looking great.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

I love how your friends and family all helped out for your wedding, Diann! Beautiful wedding photos and memories!

Bonnie said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful wedding. How lucky your kids were to know a great grandparent. I don't think I've ever seen this block. You did a nice job.

Allison said...

It's great that Melva's QAL has given you the opportunity to try new blocks and more especially to spend time remembering happy family times. Thank you for sharing your patchwork and your memories.