Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Midweek Update

Over the weekend, I began a little de-construction project on a quilt block I just haven't been happy with - the green heart that's part of my Rainbow Scrap Challenge Patchwork Hearts project.   This block was one of the first blocks I made, back in January, and it has always bugged me that I combined dark and light greens in it.  There was just too much contrast.


So I decided to take it apart!  It wasn't hard to do, and some sections could even stay together.  Eventually I was left with this:


I hunted around here and there for more light greens to add in - even dug into the Christmas scraps!   Each heart needs ten HSTs, 20 squares of the monthly color, and six neutral squares.  For the new light green heart, I didn't have to add too much more.  Here's what I ended up with:



I did the same thing with the leftover dark green pieces - adding HSTs, dark green squares, and background neutrals, and now there are two hearts!

I'm so much happier with these now!

And in other news, firefighters have made great progress fighting the wildfire that has been burning to the west of us since last Monday.  It's now 83% contained, and many of the residents who had to be evacuated last week have been able to go home, including my two friends and their families.  We're thankful for the all the firefighters who have come here to work on this fire - I read this afternoon that there 85 active wildfires being fought in the US right now.

All week long, we've been hearing planes and helicopters going back and forth overhead.  Some carry the pink slurry that is dropped on the fire, and the helicopters get large buckets of water, but we learned about a new one to us that has come this year - the Super Scooper!  They skim along the surface of the local reservoir and pick up water to then drop on the fire.

Read more about them here.

Today is Mike's second cataract surgery.  He's been really happy with the results of the first one, so he's ready to get on with the second eye, and find out his new normal.  So I will be in caregiver mode for at least part of the day!   What's on for your Wednesday?

Sharing at Quiltfabrication for Midweek Makers.











14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your two green hearts look great. I usually separate my light and dark greens too. Good to hear that the fires are mostly under control. Gail at the cozy quilter.

grammajudyb said...

The separated greens are much better. There is always learning involved. Weren’t the super scoopers something? SK, our daughter, shared lots of photos and data! We got rain last night, and lots of wind. Cooler today! Good luck on the 2nd cataract surgery. Glad the first ones was a success!

Michelle Suzanne said...

So glad the fire is mostly under control. Nothing quite so scary as a wildfire. I love all versions of this heart block. But I totally understand wanting something a certain way. And winding up with two blocks instead of one is always better. :D

Linda said...

Nice job on the greens Diann! I love that little lime slice. That's wonderful news about the fires. I am always amazed at our responders and the way they put their lives on the line for us. Good luck to Mike! I'm headed into the sewing room to work on blocks. :D

Vicki in MN said...

I didn't mind the mix of greens, but I really like the separation of the lights and darks in the new blocks!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

glad the cataract surgery went well and that the fires are getting under control - it is such a hot dry summer for a lot of us.

Nann said...

My Loveland friend Eva has been posting on FB about the fire. Good to know there's progress. I am in awe of these firefighters. Funny how we spend time deconstructing a scrappy block when we have all the ingredients to just make a new one (or in this case, two).

Jeanna said...

Oh I'm so happy to read that the firefighters are making some headway in getting the fire under control. How scary for your friends who had to evacuate. I like what you did with the hearts and love th fussy cut lime :)

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Your two green hearts are great!

PaintedThread said...

I agree - those two hearts are better than just the one. Yay for progress with the wildfires. I hope the surgery went well.

Kate said...

Both hearts turned out beautifully. Sometimes mixing lights and darks is hard. I'm hoping I like how that works out in my current scrappy project.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

I hope all went well with Mike's cataract surgery, Diann. I am sure he is glad to have that over with. A few years ago we watched the planes distribute water over a fire in NM. It was interesting to watch. Your green blocks look fabulous. You have a lot of pretty fabrics to work with. I have become quite smitten over green lately. I do need to build up my stash. Hugs.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Your green hearts look great. I'm glad you are happier with them now. Personally, I liked them both either way! Glad the firefighters are making headway against all the fires. I hope Mike's second cataract surgery goes at least as well as the first!

Cathy said...

Happy to hear that the fire is mostly contained. And thanks for the link to the Super Scooper. The two green hearts are much more serene (at least to me) when the colors stay in their own lanes. Personally, I know I have to revisit my green this year too. And those blocks will make a stunning quilt top!