Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, August 28, 2024

I Like Thursday #403

I like getting out of town now and then, and it had been a few months since we had the opportunity to go somewhere.  After we got our new car, my brother asked if we'd like to meet in Palisade, Colorado, for a weekend, and we said "Sure!"  It was a beautiful and scenic drive, too.

Starting up into the mountains just west of Denver -


At the top of Vail Pass - 10,000+ feet of elevation!

Not my photo, although we did drive right past this sign!

Mountain views - 


And then, really different scenery over on the Western Slope - lots of buttes, mesas, and cliffs.


Lots of peaches and grapes are grown over there.



And there are wineries!


This was a Malbec Rose - look at that pretty color!

And time spent with extended family is always a good thing!

I think they were having fun, too!

Hope you're having a great week! 
Joining in with I Like Thursday at Not Afraid of Color.























13 comments:

Linda said...

Love these photos! I can't think of anything more fun that driving into those mountains. You said the scenery is different on that side - it has its own stark beauty. I'm just in love with that painting-looking photo next to your hotel. So glad you had fun with your family. That Malbec Rose is pretty - how does it taste? I like white zinfandel so I'm not very wine savvy - lol!

Kate said...

It's been a few years since we were in Colorado, but the drives are so scenic (especially for someone from the plains portion of Oklahoma). Looks like you had a wonderful weekend with the family.

Angela said...

Wow! So beautiful!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

What a scenic drive. I love the color of the wine!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love mountain drives - they are so pretty. I really like it when there are enough pull outs so you can stop to take photos.

Sandra Walker said...

That is fascinating how different it is on the western side of the mountains! The Rockies in Alberta on the east side and those in BC on the west side look the same, though, like you found, peaches and cherries and grapes and more are all grown on the BC side of them. Wine and family and mountains and scenery--ahhh!

Anonymous said...

I grew up in Palisade and have very fond memories. Love the photos. Sharon

Jeanna said...

Great photos! I'm so glad you were able to spend time with your family! A fun way to "break in" the new car, too.

PaintedThread said...

Looks like a fun trip. How nice to spend time with family.

Laura said...

So wonderful to be able to see beautiful country and have time with family! :)

Nann said...

Oh, wow!

Susie H said...

Great trip! I'd go anywhere if it involved gorgeous scenery and wineries! Definitely a "Like"!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

What a beautiful drive, Diann. Colorado is spectacular! It is so wonderful that you got to spend time with your family and take a road trip in your new car!