Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, April 26, 2024

Table Scraps for April

Earlier this month, I shared that I tried playing with a string block to create an umbrella with my yellow scraps, and it worked pretty well!  This is where I left off on April 9th, thinking that I might possibly make a few more of these.


It turned out that I only had time to make this one, what with moving my mom to a new place and going on our trip to Nashville, so when we got home earlier this week, I decided to finish it up into a little mug rug.   One change I made to the original block was to redo the very top tiny triangle with a white background piece instead of yellow to give a little bit more rounded look.

The original block is 6.5 inches square, 
so I added some Fairy Dust for borders to make it a rectangle.

The Fairy Dust plus another yellow scrap made a good backing, too.  


You know what they say about April showers bringing May flowers...

These aren't May flowers quite yet, but it is our 
Spring Snow Crabapple tree in full bloom - so pretty!


Sharing at:

the Joyful Quilter for the April Table Scraps link-up,
and at SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday.














20 comments:

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Your umbrella block is so cute and perfect for both RSC and Table Scraps!

Linda said...

You did good on the little umbrella shape - it's perfect, and I love the yellows you used. What a pretty tree!

Nann said...

What fun!

scraphappy said...

What a sweet little project. So fun to use up all the extras.

Sara said...

Oh my! That is just the cutest mug rug! What a clever idea.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Wow to that tree! Such a beauty and what a sweet mug rug!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

What a gorgeous backdrop for your sunny umbrella! What a terrific finish!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

neat umbrella - we need one for the next couple of days

Vicki in MN said...

I am in love with your blooming tree!! I have a dark pink crabapple tree and can't wait to see it bloom. I hope your mom is adjusting to her new place.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Sweet mug rug for the challenge, Diann! You were better at balancing travel and life with sewing than I was. I still have another corner to bind (since I accidentally added for stitching by hand instead of by machine.)

grammajudyb said...

Your happy yellow umbrella is a perfect addition to April Table Scraps. Will it go to live with your Mom? I hope that transition is going well. Surly it will put a smile on her face when she uses it. Are you looking forward to Pink?

starflash quilts said...

I like the happy yellow!

Kate said...

A sunny umbrella to enjoy coffee on a rainy day.

Anonymous said...

I love your little mug rug. Enjoy the spring blossoms

Chantal said...

I love your creativity. This umbrella is the cutest. ;^)

Preeti said...

How did you pack so much cuteness in a such a small item :-)

Astrid said...

Cutest umbrella mug rug!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely fabulous, and the fairy dust surround is the icing on the cake!
Jane in Australia

Jeanna said...

You made an adorable mug rug, Diann. I like the change you made at the top.

Deb A said...

I love your umbrella block! The quilting is perfect.