Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Sunday, April 14, 2024

Pieces of My Life QAL, Block 3

Edited for Saturday, April 20th:  We're visiting Paducah, Kentucky, today, and will be visiting the National Quilt Museum and doing a little shopping at Hancock's of Paducah!  Before we left on our trip, I sewed up the next block for the Pieces of My Life QAL, hosted by Melva of Melva Loves Scraps.  I wasn't sure I'd get it done before we left on our trip, but I did!  

This block is called Bachelor's Puzzle, and it is kind of a puzzle!  Definitely a good one to take a photo of and compare what you're doing with the photo - often!

Four fabrics were needed for this block - so I used my cream Grunge, and the rainbow floral inspiration print, plus two yellows - a solid and a batik.

Did I sew it together correctly without flipping any pieces on the first try?  Yes!


Here are the first three blocks that I've made for the QAL.


Melva's theme for this block is life in high school, and what we were involved in.  Check out her fun post about being a gymnast here.  I was not an athlete - instead I was involved in music.  I sang in the choir and was involved in the musicals, as were all my friends.  My most fun memory was how we got so obsessed with the music and dialogue from the shows that we could answer any question with a line from the show.  We sang just about all day long.  I wish I had a photo to share from that time, but ran out of time to dig one out!

So happy to have the block done, though, and I'm sharing it over at Melva's link-ups - the Block 3 link-up and Sew and Tell Monday.

Also linking up with:
ScrapHappy Saturday at SoScrappy, and






20 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

It would be very easy to flip something around the wrong way with that block! I love building a quilt one block at a time. Fun focus fabric.

Vicki in MN said...

Hope your trip is wonderful!! Loved hearing about your singing career in high school:)

Linda said...

Your block is beautiful Diann! How fun that you were involved in musicals. I bet you still remember lyrics. ;) Enjoy that trip!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love that bachelor's block - I might have to print out the photo to remind myself of it and I have the dies to cut that one too. I was not an athlete either and was in choir but I wasn't in the shows/musicals too shy for that.

Melva said...

Your block is lovely. I was in choir in Jr. High, but it never fit into my schedule in HS. Thanks for sharing your block. Have a great trip.

PaintedThread said...

I did a Bachelor's puzzle years ago! I like your colors.

Jeanna said...

This quilt along is so fun to follow, Diann. Love your blocks so far. Good for you, for getting it done before leaving on your trip.

piecefulwendy said...

Such pretty blocks - you pick the happiest of colors! I love that!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

What a fun block! I hope your trip is super fun!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Your block is darling, Diann and it looks fabulous with the other blocks. I look forward to catching up on the SAL. Such a sweet high school memory. It sounds like you were just talented musically as you are in the fiber arts. I bet you and your friends had a ball in choir. While on vacation, I enjoyed looking back at your previous posts. I read through the year 2017.Sew much fun. Safe travels, Diann and enjoy your vacation. Hugs.

scraphappy said...

Glad you got that one to work on the first try. So many ways to get mixed up in that block. It turned out beautifully and makes such a nice addition to the collection.

Kate said...

Very fun block and it looks good with the first two.

Sara said...

That is a beautiful block. Enjoy your visit in Paducah. A quilt museum and a quilt shop - the best kind of stops to make.

Cathy said...

Wow, I really love your block and the inspiration fabric! I hope you’re having fun in Paducah!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

The yellows are a perfect compliment to the focus fabric. Your blocks are looking good!

Astrid said...

Pretty blocks for the QAL. Have a wonderful trip! ... and of course we need to see what you bought from Hancocks! lol

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

You did your usual wonderful job on sorting that block perfectly, Dian. I had the records for the musicals in high school and knew all the words to the songs. I also sang in the choir and enjoyed it very much and I had a good serve so played on the volleyball team. It all sounds so innocent doesn't it. I'm envious of you getting to go to Hancocks!! Enjoy every minute!

grammajudyb said...

Your Pieces of My Life blocks are going to make a great quilt. That most recent block looks a bit “puzzling”! I’d have messed it up for sure! Kudos to you!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Beautiful block, such lovely fabrics. And right the first time? Congrats! Have a great time at the museum, and enjoy the Kentucky spring. Hope the dogwood is still blooming.

JanineMarie said...

Fun block—and fun little tidbit from your high school years! Have fun in Paducah. It’s a pretty time of year to be there.