Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Midweek Update

Every month I combine the color of the month for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (April is yellow) and the challenge of the month for the Table Scraps Challenge (April is umbrellas) and see what kind of little quilted item I can come up with.   I'm not sure I've ever made an umbrella block before!  So the last few days I've been playing with an idea for an umbrella block.

My idea was to make a string block into an umbrella, so I started with a square of phone book paper and some strips of yellow.



This is looking umbrella-ish!

But it needed a handle...so I took a triangle of a background white, cut it in half, and added a black strip in the middle.  This could work!


Sewn and trimmed...what do you think?


I thought maybe I'd like those pointy corners to be smoothed off a bit, so I added stitch and flip corners, and might change the top point to a white background piece, too.  


I'm not sure how I'll finish this up, but I think I will turn it into a new mug rug for my mom.  I'll share the finish at the end of the month.

Linking up with Quiltfabrication for Midweek Makers.












11 comments:

dq said...

It is such a cute little umbrella you have created in yellows. You are clever with your challenges.

Pam said...

Very cute!!!

Linda said...

What a cute umbrella! I like your cheerful yellows too. Looking forward to your finish. :)

Jeanna said...

I think you did a great job combining both challenges.That is a super cute umbrella and I'm sure your Mom will love it as a mugrug.

Bridget said...

It makes me think of beach umbrellas! Love it.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that is cute great way to use up skinny pieces

PaintedThread said...

It's cute. What a fun little project.

Kate said...

It's a fun block. Those sunny yellows make a great umbrella.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is so creative!!!!

Anonymous said...

Look at you! All creative and designer like!! Sew cute!

Michele McLaughlin said...

Love it! The last touch kicked it up! Great job!