Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Midweek Update

This week I've been working on Block 2 of the Pieces of My Life QAL from Melva Loves Scraps.  We're making Friendship Stars, so our reminiscing is all about friends from our growing up years.


I grew up in Greece, New York, and was lucky to live in one of those suburban neighborhoods where there were lots of kids who all hung out together.  We played games on the front lawn (like Red Light, Green Light?), ran through the sprinklers, hunted for tadpoles in the creek - all those kinds of things.  A few blocks away lived my friend, Debbie, who I met in kindergarten and am still in touch with today.  We graduated from high school together in 1972. 

Debbie, her parents (who I called Aunt Elaine and Uncle Ray), and me!

Block #2 is made up of four 6.5 inch Friendship Stars - I made two with my focus fabric and two with a blue-purple solid.


Forever friends!  Now two gray-haired, almost 70 year olds, but still laughing together!

Debbie, her husband Charlie, and me,
when we met up just this last January.

Sharing at Quiltfabrication for Midweek Makers.
And at Melva Loves Scraps for the Block 2 link-up!










14 comments:

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Friendship that lasts like yours and Debbie's is super special! Those friendship blocks are a great way to remember your friends!

Pam said...

Long time friends are truly special! I grew up in Lima, NY a free miles south of Greece 😁

Kate said...

Long term friends are the best. You've picked a fun color palette for the quilt along.

Linda said...

I love that picture of you! Is that long hair I see? What a sweet story. You grew up almost in Canada - did you visit there a lot? I love your second block! I love Friendship stars - I need to get going on mine.

PaintedThread said...

How wonderful to have such a longtime friend!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that is so nice to have a long time friend. I grew up kind of like you but in the country and we played Red Light, Green Light - Statue Maker I think the name was and Red Robin? Only thing for me is all the kids playing were my brothers and sisters LOL (I graduated in 1970)

Melva said...

How fun that you are still close friends. <3 Your blocks look great. Thanks for sharing in the block parade. I'll get the memory pages sent out very soon.

Jeanna said...

What a fun QAL. Your childhood memories sound a lot like mine...and those - truly - were the days. Your blocks look great, Diann.

sue s said...

You are the same age as me, and I, too have a childhood friend I'm still in touch with. Stephanie lived around the block from me. We still call one another once a year or so, and drop right into an hour long conversation. I'm just starting Melva's QAL and better get to it!

Deb A said...

You graduated the year I was born! Friendship stars are such a fun block. Yours look lovely.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Sweet photos of you & Debbie together, then and still now!!!

MissPat said...

I was all set to comment that I bet I am your only follower who knows exactly where Greece is, but then I read Pam's comment about going up in Lima, which is even closer to me, 8 miles east. Small world.
You're making good progress on Melva's QAL.
Pat

Nann said...

Longtime friendships are wonderful. Because you know one another's backgrounds you can just pick up the conversation anywhere. Nice to have a QAL that allows reminiscing.

piecefulwendy said...

I played "Red Light, Green Light" often as a kid. Growing up in a small town, all the kids played just about anywhere in town, but the games were mostly up at the schoolyard. So fun to see you and Debbie together, smiling and laughing. Longtime friends are the best!