Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Midweek Update

The last week or so we've been traveling, and part of the trip was a pilgrimage to Paducah, Kentucky, where I got to visit the National Quilt Museum and Hancock's of Paducah.  Our trip was a lot of fun (including several days spent in Nashville which I will share in my Thursday I Like post) and went by way too fast.   

The National Quilt Museum has a wonderful range of displays and I really enjoyed visiting it.  


I, of course, took a ton of pictures, but decided to choose just one to share that really blew me away.  This was a completely hand stitched quilt - all applique and hand quilting - made by a Japanese quilter named Keiko Miyauchi.  It must have taken years to complete!


Here's a close-up of a section of the blue fence:


I also was able to do some shopping at Hancock's of Paducah - a quilter's candy shop if I ever saw one!


It turned out to be a good idea to have a specific quilt project that I wanted to shop for there, otherwise I think I would have had a hard time making a decision with so many choices!   I decided to pick out everything I'll need for the Spring QAL at mmmquilts, called Luminous Layers.  I have two rules for the fabric for this project - I want to make it without any white or cream background fabric, and I want a solid-ish look - and I think I found just the right fabric line.

These are tonal solids with a hand-dyed look 
from a line called "Palette" by Marcia Derse.

Looks like it needs some pressing!  
I hope to be getting started on cutting the first pieces 
for the QAL in the next few days.


and at Quiltfabrication for Midweek Makers.












16 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

wow on that quilt - excellent work. When I was at the museum last year they were having an exhibit with a lot of Kaffe's work it was really neat. I'm glad they change the quilts out now and then. It would be hard to leave Hancocks of Paducah with nothing right!

Kate said...

Sounds like a very fun visit. That quilt is really amazing! Not something I would aspire to, but it's easy to appreciate all the effort and work that went into it. Wishing you safe travels home.

Linda said...

Your trip sounds like so much fun! Isn't that hand-stitched quilt amazing, I cannot imagine the dedication/love it takes to do something like that. I love that wall hanging with the bored-to-death husbands - lol! That's a great choice of fabrics for your MMM project!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

This is on my bucket list, someday I hope to get there!

Nann said...

A friend from Missouri went to the museum last week, too! (And you left before the Big Show?) Nice souvenirs for your upcoming project.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Sounds like a great trip!! and that quilt is amazing! I can not imagine how much time goes into that much detail! What patience!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Fun, fun, fun!!! I've been past Paducah but we weren't able to stop that time. Next time! Love the Japanese quilt!!! So precise! My sister's advice for shopping Hancock's--look online first, then you can hone in on the fabric IRL.

Libby in TN said...

You went to Nashville without telling me? I'm a short 2.5-hr drive away 😁

MissPat said...

I visited the Quilt Museum over 20 years ago and we walked around downtown, which at the time, had lots of empty storefronts. But the murals painted on the flood wall were very interesting. Of course, I had to go to Hancock's and I really don't remember what I bought, if anything. It is quite overwhelming. I have ordered from their catalog on occasion. I trust you had a safe trip home, although I did read that the Denver area had a late season snowstorm. I hope you missed that.
Pat

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Okay. . .I drooled over the quilt . . .wow! I can't imagine all the time it took to put in all those details! Then Hancocks. . .what fun!!!!

PaintedThread said...

Wow. So much detail on that quilt! Ooh - I like those fabrics. Looks like a fun trip.

Vicki in MN said...

I had no doubt that you would really really enjoy those places!! Gotta hand it to Japenese quilters as they do spectacular work.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip for the two of you...what did Mike do while you were fabric shopping? Do they have a cafe there? I really like your choices for that QAL...as always I will enjoy seeing what you create.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Oh my that is an exquisite quilt! I can only imagine all of the eye candy you enjoyed. You found some gorgeous fabrics. I look forward to seeing them in your upcoming project, Diann. Hugs.

Preeti said...

Such a delightful trip. Thank you for sharing! I love the mini quilt :-D So true!

Jeanna said...

Paducah is on my bucket list to visit. You selected some beautiful fabrics for your Spring QAL.