Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, December 27, 2019

Best of 2019

It's been a busy year in my sewing room, and I've enjoyed every minute!    Participating in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, several quilt - alongs, and tons of blog reading have provided lots of inspiration for my quilty projects.  Instead of choosing my 5 favorite projects, I picked 5 categories of projects to share.

First - my favorite larger quilt finishes:

Clockwise from top:
 Hello Darling sent to Jack's Basket for Hands2Help.
My Squared Away quilt, the Rainbow Scrap Challenge sampler for 2018.
And my husband's Happy Birds quilt -
Those bottom two are well-loved and used daily at our house!

This year I also discovered some new loves in stitching!

Hand-piecing has been fun to learn, and I've done quite a bit of it!

Clockwise from top left:

Another new-to-me type of stitching I've experimented with this year is embroidery.  I've found I especially enjoy Gail Pan's designs that are combined with patchwork.

Clockwise from top left:
Unfinished redwork embroidery - I'm planning to turn this one into a zipper pouch.
One basket block and my finished Little Baskets.

Participating in quilt-alongs has given me a chance to try out designs from some of my favorite quilters!

Clockwise from top left:
Beothuk Star with Sandra of mmmquilts

And no year would be complete without a bunch of squirrelly projects that were made just for fun and because I wanted to!  

Probably my most favorite in this bunch is right in the center, Circle of Sisters.

Thanks for following along  on my year-long quilting journey!  Hope you've had a great year, too!  I'm joining in with Cheryl at Meadow Mist Designs for the Best of 2019 linky party.


Also sharing at SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday and















24 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I am still going through my photos trying to figure out what I did LOL

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I enjoy seeing these quilts again. They are all so lovely!

Lisa J. said...

Beautiful quilts. You had a great year.

Louise said...

You always have so much fun with your quilting, Diann! It's a fun adventure to visit your blog and see what's captured your attention in any given week. Great round up for 2019 and I'm looking forward to seeing what you get up to in 2020 :)

Vicki in MN said...

That was fun walking down memory lane with you for 2019! You always have such fun ones to check out. Looking forward to seeing what is in store for 2020 for you.

Carol R. said...

Thanks for reminding me :(... I have to find my RSC2019 blocks and get them made into a top ( which will claim space on the "to be quilted" rack until I find backing and time to quilt it). Loved seeing all that you've done - that was all of it, right?- this year. I always enjoy checking out your blog to see what's up. Happy New Year!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Thanks for a lovely trip back through your quilting year, Diann. You made SEW many wonderful projects in 2019!! I like the way you presented them, too.

Linda said...

Your favorites are my favorites also! Your hand stitching and embroidery projects are so pretty, and I've loved following along. By the way, I got a Hobby Lobby gift card for Christmas and just applied it (along with a 40% off coupon!) to Gail Pan's Christmas Loves Patchwork and Embroidery - yay!
Once I get all the sheets and towels done from our company and put the Christmas decorations away, I think I'll join in the Best of 2019. It will give me a chance to see what I've done. ;)

Chantal said...

You had an awesome year! Loved reading this post and seeing your quilts and projects again. Hope the new year is just as blessed for you. ;^)

Cathy said...

So much quilty goodness packed into one post! It was a delight to review all your yummy creations this year! Awesome!!!!!!

piecefulwendy said...

Fun to see all of these again. It's been a creative year for you! Here's to another in 2020!

MissPat said...

What a clever way to present your 5 favorites list. You've accomplished a lot. I've decided that 2020 should be a year to finish things and get them on to someone who can use them. Happy New Year.
Pat

Mari said...

What a great year, with so many great projects. I am going looking for a Gail Pan book to see if I can learn something new next year. Happy new year to you and yours!

Birthe Marie said...

You have so many beautiful projects done in 2019. A great look and presentation. Visiting your blog is always fun and inspiring.
I look forward to following the blog further in 2020. :-)

Katie Z. said...

What a lovely summary! I hope you have a great 2020.

Susie H said...

What a great ay to wrap up the year. 2019 was very goo to you!

chrisknits said...

Everything is so pretty! I can't even pick a favorite!

Danice G said...

So many quilts, and I love them all! 'Wish I were as good at hand-piecing as you are. Happy Birds is a great quilt idea, and looks awesome.

Jayne said...

It seems like you tried many new techniques this year! I've always enjoyed new things and hope to learn much more in 2020! You always come up many fun and beautiful projects. I've enjoyed watching from the sidelines!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

I enjoyed having a look back over your projects, lots of variety! And Happy New Year to you!

Cheryl said...

Such great makes, what a productive 2019! Thanks for linking up!

Kate said...

Lots of big and little finishes this year. It's impossible to pick a favorite. Wishing you an equally successful 2020!

Preeti said...

Your posts have been a source of beauty and inspiration and squirrels (remember Vinyl Pouch) for me this year :-) And I would not change a thing with one exception - the wrong ruler mishap. Thank you for sharing and re-sharing your work and most of all THANK YOU for being my quilty sister. Lots of Love, Hugs and Best Wishes to you in the new year!!!

PaintedThread said...

You made a lot of great quilts this year!