Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, December 6, 2019

Slow Progress

I've made a little bit of progress recently with the top section of my Scrappy Sprouts quilt.  (My attention keeps getting hijacked by little squirrels, especially the holiday kind!)

One of the things I had to figure out had to do with the size, shape, and colors of the sky pieces.  When I really paid attention to the sprouts blocks, I decided to mimic their pieces in the sky.  (I'm apologizing ahead of time for my dark photos!  This is all on the design wall in my basement sewing room, which works great for my purposes, but low volume fabrics don't photograph well there.)

The border and sashing pieces are 2.5 inches like the sprouts pieces, but the center strip (the stem) is 1.5 inches.

So I've started making the top in blocks like this - adding in more blues as I get to the top.


That section of sky matches up perfectly with the first column of sprouts!

I will need two more rows above this section to get the size I want.

I've continued to cut various pieces for this section, but still need more.  Here's how the design is looking at this point.  I've just stuck all the blues at the top for now - some of them may still be too dark for this project.

Working on these blocks from left to right at this point.

Slowly... I'm getting there!

Sharing at SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday.






13 comments:

Cathy said...

It’s looking really nice, Diann! Very clever of you to align blocks in the same widths!

Michele McLaughlin said...

The way you are doing this with the upper pieces the same size as the sprouts, I love this! I think this is going to be great quilt!!!

Linda said...

I'm enjoying your evolution with this piece, and I like your blues. Maybe some of the darker ones could be a darkening sky. ;)
I have the same problem with light in my space. Even though I have a nice sized window, under counter lights, and a couple of desk lamps, it's hard to get good light on my design board. I need one of those display lights like those used to light up paintings on a wall - hah! A quilter can never have too much light IMO.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Looks awesome. I just love this project.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I don't know why I thought this piece was done!! getting there though looks great

The Joyful Quilter said...

That's QUITE the process, Diann! It's coming along nicely.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Great progress on your sprouts! I am enjoying seeing all the different fabrics. Purple background with black cats is my favorite!

Quilter Kathy said...

So awesome... thanks for the inspiration!

Carol R. said...

lookin' good! :)

Louise said...

This is so clever!! Great way to get a super scrappy sky while making the scale of the pieces match the sprouts.

Vicki in MN said...

You really had your thinking cap on making those neutrals the same size as the blocks below.

piecefulwendy said...

Your flower garden is growing. It's looking good, and I'm sure it will be beautiful!

maggie fellow said...

wonderful idea to make a gradient for the background.