Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Sunday, January 27, 2019

Hand Stitched

I decided this week that it's a good thing I've gotten more into hand stitching projects recently, since my sewing room is out of commission for awhile.

Besides the Hand-Pieced QAL that I'm participating in -


I've also been working on this scrappy little doll quilt.  It began as a way to practice the hand-piecing techniques I would need for the QAL project.


In recent weeks I've added the borders, layered it with a backing, and hand quilted it.


I just have to figure out what to do for the binding, and this little quilt will be finished!

And then there's my ongoing hexie project.  I think I last posted about it in October, when it looked like this - 


Here's how it looks now - 


I finished all the blue hexies and now I'm slowly adding a round of neutral ones.  This will take awhile, as this piece has really grown!  

With the neutral border added all the way around, it will measure about 33 x 14.

So, even with the work we're doing on my sewing room during the day, I still have the chance to get my needle, thread, and fabric fix for some slow stitching time in the evenings! 

Linking up with my favorite Sunday parties today  - 
and Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching. 






8 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love your hexies you are playing with. While organizing I found a bag full of a project I started when we were camping as I didn't want to start anything that took a lot of concentration and I was making a hand pieced 4 patch - wonder when I will get back to that? it might go back in the camper next time LOL

Ivani said...

Beautiful projects Diann, The hexie and hand stitching blocks seems to be perfect for a Slow Sunday Stitching.

Linda said...

I amazed how large your hexies are getting. It's going to be really pretty. The doll quilt is a great idea (and it's cute!) I'm looking forward to seeing your re-done sewing room. :)

Jayne said...

I need a hand stitching project! All your projects are wonderful. Love where the hexie runner is going!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Wonderful hand work projects! I cannot hand quilt, and I admire those who can.

piecefulwendy said...

You'll appreciate having the handwork as you wait for the sewing room changes. Even though I was out of the sewing room for maybe a week, it about drove me nuts. I didn't plan ahead as well as you! Love your little projects -- they look great!

Kim said...

Your little baby quilt is very sweet. Love all the sweet fabrics. Seeing a hexie project always makes me smile. Your hexie pretty is coming along beautifully.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

That doll quilt is super sweet and charming. Glad you are able to enjoy sewing while you create your new sewing space. Thanks for linking up your pretty projects with Oh Scrap!