Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Saturday, December 7, 2019

Just playing...

If you've visited my blog before, you probably know that I enjoy finding a coordinating bundle of fat quarters in a few seasonal colors and prints, and just playing with them to see what I end up with.

I enjoyed working on a series of fall themed pieces in October and November, and it's happening again this month!



I originally bought these red, green, and white fabrics to make some mug rugs for my post on the Virtual Cookie Exchange Blog Hop.


I used a few strips from those fat quarters in my Tiny Christmas Runner, too.


Recently I saw a tutorial for 4 patch in a square blocks, and because the Christmas-y fabric was still out, I've been using it to sew up some of those as well!

I bet you can tell where the gray corner pieces came from, too! :)

I'm not sure what those blocks will become yet, but they're fun to make!  I think they would make a great Rainbow Scrap Challenge project, with blocks in all the colors.

Meanwhile, I saw the posts for the Temecula Quilt Company's Tiny Tree, and I thought, "Why not?!"

Tiny blocks for a tiny tree!

It sure is fun to just play in my sewing room!

Sharing at Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap!




13 comments:

Michele McLaughlin said...

Love the colors on the fat quarters! Playing in the sewing room is so much fun! I love how you are using things up (my favorite thing right now). Those tree blocks are adorable!!! :)

Linda said...

I love any kind of "patch", and these are so cute. Loving those fabrics.
I agree it is fun to play in the sewing room, and I am actually dreading house cleaning this morning. My husband shares vacuum duties and it takes less than an hour, but I'd still rather be in my room. ;)

Vicki in MN said...

Your little 4 patches are adorable! I have started cutting out some 2.5" squares from scraps in hopes of making something out of them this winter.

maggie fellow said...

your "playing" is inspirational. I still haven't decided next year's rainbow

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

they are pretty. I do not have any Xmas mug rugs or placemats I keep saying I will make some and then the season comes and I'm too busy with other things! one day?

Jayne said...

When to mood strikes...you should always go for it! I don't use christmas prints, but I love see how other people use them. You are one who uses them well!!

Louise said...

It's fun to just play with blocks with no particular end in sight, isn't it? Those tiny four patches are super cute :)

The Joyful Quilter said...

What fun you are having with those Holiday prints!!

MissPat said...

You really are getting in the tiny block groove. How small are those Temecula blocks anyway? Always fun to play.
Pat

chrisknits said...

I just found the tiny tree project, going to have to play catch up to do it!!

piecefulwendy said...

Cute TT blocks; I'm looking forward to seeing what the end quilt will be. I need to pull a bundle and play with it. Good idea!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

A whole lot of fun is happening in your sewing room :)

Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

JanineMarie said...

Those mug rugs are adorable. I will have to be strong and resist trying those right now. Maybe in January and be ahead for next year's holidays?