Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Saturday, December 28, 2019

One last little project...

for 2019!

Back in November, just for fun, I started making these little 4 patch in a square blocks.

The tutorial is from Blue Elephant Stitches.

I used odds and ends of fabric that were out on my cutting table leftover from several recent projects.  Even though red and green are Christmas colors, the fabrics are really "wintry" as well.  Snowflakes, pine trees, home.

I ended up making 15 of these little blocks and sewing them together in a 13 x 21 rectangle.


After spray-basting the layers together, I stitched in the ditch to stabilize the whole thing, and then this week I've been hand quilting in the gray and white parts of each block.


This has been my evening slow stitching each day throughout this holiday week, and I'm enjoying it so much!

After I finish up the hand quilting, I'll be binding my little tabletopper with this piece of the Home fabric in black with red and white lettering.


I'm hoping to finish this up this week!  Sharing at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.




17 comments:

Birthe Marie said...

This little quilt is so cute. It was very decorative with hand quilting in the gray blocks. :-)

Deb A said...

How fun! It always amazes me how cute 'leftovers' can be in a little quilt. I decorate with snowmen and snowflakes in Jan/Feb.... perfect for the rest of winter.

Carol R. said...

That is really cute fabric you're working with. I like the hand quilting - it's going to be so special when you finish it. You're so tempting me to try hand quilting - maybe one of these days when the right project comes along ( right meaning small)

Susie H said...

So much joy in a sweet table mat. Enjoy & Happy New Year! See you & your projects in 2020!

Vicki in MN said...

You come up with some fun projects using the leftovers, and then have more fun with your hand stitching. Great to use them and not let them go to the landfill.

Linda said...

I like your little mini! I'm going to stitch today on a Christmas quilt I didn't finish before Christmas. It's wintry, so it's still good - lol!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that is cute and will be ready for next year

Karrin Hurd said...

What an adorable little quilt!

piecefulwendy said...

That is just darling. A perfect project to wrap up the year. Your stitching adds so much to it, and I love the Home fabric!

Louise said...

So sweet! I love the binding fabric, too :)

CathieJ said...

What a pretty little project from scraps.

Jenny said...

Such a lovely little project. I have a bunch of four patch units hanging about so I will borrow your idea and add triangle sides to them, makes them a more useful unit, i think.

Alcea Rosea 31 said...

Wow the colours and designs work so well together. Plus the binding fabric is perfect.

Chantal said...

Oh! I really like this little last-project-of-the-year quilt. So darling. ;^)

Kate said...

Very cute! Love the fabrics and the colors. Happy stitching this week.

chrisknits said...

So cute! I love how you changed up the background colors.

PaintedThread said...

I love how this looks!