Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Sunday, January 6, 2019

Finished!

I'm excited to share my first finish of 2019 with you today - Happy Birds!

It measures about 51 x 70.

These blocks were started back in May of last year, inspired by Cathy of Sane, Crazy, Crumby Quilting, who calls them "Happy Blocks." My Happy Bird Blocks are 5 inch squares of various bird fabrics that I've collected, with 2.5 inch strips added to them to make a 9 inch square.  I made 48 blocks over a few months, half with light border fabrics and half with dark.

I quilted the birds with simple, straight(ish!) lines framing both the larger blocks and the bird squares.


I decided I wanted to try using minky for the backing, and I'm glad I did.  It behaved pretty well for me during quilting, and is definitely soft.  It also gives the quilt weight and warmth, which my husband will enjoy, since this is now his quilt!


While I was working on these blocks, a friend told me she had seen the perfect fabric to go with them at our LQS that was having a moving sale.


This fabric ended up being the binding!


It feels great to have this quilt finished and already being used.  And it helps fulfill my goal of completing some projects to begin the year before I get too distracted by something new!  :)

Sharing at Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap!









17 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

great to have a finish and I think your Mike will like this quilt just fine!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

What a lovely bird quilt! Congratulations on the finish ;) Great idea to use minky for the backing. It's like polar fleece, right?
Cute fabric for the binding :))

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Oh, cute, and the nest fabric is indeed the perfect backing!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congratulations on avoiding distraction for ONE week!! :P
I'm glad that your DH is already enjoying his new quilt.

Chantal said...

Congratulations! I already got distracted by new projects in the shape of BOM. I have a feeling 2019 will be a fun year. Here's to many more finishes. ;^)

Michele McLaughlin said...

Great quilt! I love this as a theme!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Love these!!! (i'm a sucker for eye spys!)

piecefulwendy said...

Well, I love this because we are a bird-loving family with a daughter who is basically a bird scientist. So I'm always drawn to bird fabric. What a fun quilt that uses the bird fabric well, and I'm sure the minky makes it a great quilt for watching a show or taking a snooze! Great first finish, Diann!

Julierose said...

Just a lovely finish--love your nest backing...hugs, Julierose

Libby in TN said...

Nice finish. Way to start a new year!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

This quilt is perfect for your bird watching husband. I really like how it turned out. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Louise said...

It looks great, Diann! Happy blocks of happy little birds. I'm so glad you're keeping it and your hubby is already enjoying it :)

gayle said...

Fantastic finish! I love your happy birds!
I've never used minky for a backing. One of these days I'll have to give it a try!

Cathy said...

What a great, happy quilt. I used Minky on the first six quilts I did back in 2012 before I knew any better. And it was just fine - no problems (other than my old machine at the time, which was NOT the minky’s fault). And after that, cotton backs are a breeze. Congrats on a super - and super early - finish!!

Cathy said...

Oh, how cute!! Congrats on the finish!

Kate said...

Congrats on a fun finish! It was fun to watch this one come together.

Linda said...

I'm blown away at how pretty it turned out! Love the backing, love the binding, and the whole thing just looks gorgeous. It's the true kind of quilt, one you like to just sit and look at the blocks. Your husband must be thrilled. :)