Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Sunday, May 27, 2018

Easily Distracted!

****
Sometime between my post on Thursday and yesterday's post, Blogger stopped sending your comments to my email inbox.  Please know that I really appreciate your comments, and will definitely try to reply to them as soon as I can!  I hope Blogger will fix this problem quickly, since I haven't been able to figure it out myself!
****

Meanwhile, earlier this week, while straightening up my sewing room, and supposedly planning to finish cutting pieces for my Mellow quilt project, I got distracted by this pile of scraps -


"I'll just make a bowtie block out of some of those," I thought to myself.  So I did.


But there was still quite a bit of the penguin fabric left, so I thought I would make one of these - 

Cathy, at Sane, Crazy, Crumby Quilting, calls these "Happy Blocks," and I had been thinking I might start making a few here and there.  Why not use the penguin fabric to get started?

Well, you know what that leads to!  "What if...?"    I started cutting 5 inch squares out of all of my bird fabrics, and 2.5 inch strips for the borders, matching up darks with lights to get some contrast.


I had more than I realized - not just penguins, but owls, cardinals, swallows, and more!  

These blocks are 9 inch squares.

And just like that, a new project gets started...

So here's how my sewing table looks now - 

Pieces cut for bowties and bird blocks - always something to do!

Linking up with Quilting is More Fun than Housework for Oh Scrap!  






15 comments:

Libby in TN said...

I'm having the same problem and I think it has to do with that European cookie disclaimer thing that blogger supposedly added to my blog but I can't find ...

Louise said...

You have some really cute bird fabrics! Now I'm thinking about pulling mine out...

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Cute new project ;) Fun to find new way to use fabric!

Jayne said...

I know exactly what you are going through! I get side tracked all the time! Can't say that I mind though! Love where your distraction is taking you!!

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

I totally understand. I so want to start a new project but with my sewing time severely decreased for the summer, I'm trying to be disciplined. Yeah, let's see how long that lasts. hee hee. Enjoy those adorable penguins! mary

Ivani said...

Oh Diann those pinguins are perfect for beginning a new project of Happy blocks. Love also the bow tie with them. It is always fun to have new projetcts to sew.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I am glad I am not the only one who starts New projects so easily. Those blocks are adorable. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

I am having blogger comment issues too. Extremely frustrating!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Oops!! Slight error. At least, you are USING your fabric scraps!!! :o))

Kate said...

Very fun blocks! I love those birdie fabrics. Distraction isn't always a bad thing. I'm glad you mentioned not getting comments, I posted this morning and noticed there were no comments showing up in my email. I thought it was something I did!

Janice Holton said...

Starting new projects is the best! It looks like you are well on your way to having another finish in the near future!

MissPat said...

That is the greatest penguin fabric. I love it. Clearly other bloggers are having trouble with the comment functionality. Hope it gets resolved soon. I've also thought about starting some of Cathy's happy blocks since I use a lot of novelty fabrics.
Pat

viviene joeli said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Linda said...

What a fun distraction! And they are adorable too. :D

Karen S said...

Looks like everyone on Blogger is having problems with comments. Luckily WordPress had some fixes in place and is working well. Good luck sorting it out.
Love the quilt top that has come from being distracted. Sometimes these are the best!

Vicki in MN said...

Looks like that should be a 'squirrel' instead of bird, LOL
How about an I spy bird quilt:)