Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Sunday, May 13, 2018

Decisions, Decisions...

Yesterday, in an email conversation with Karen, of Karen Quilts, etc, I was telling her that I really enjoy playing with fabric and trying new blocks - thus ending up with several WiPs at the same time, lol!  And that is exactly how this project started - my blocks for Libby's Magical Mystery.


I had a fat quarter bundle I had purchased around Christmas time, and no real plans for it, so when Libby announced her mystery QAL, I thought, "Why not join in?!"

This fabric bundle has penguins, polka dots, and bright primary colors.

At one point, I added in that peach-colored fabric in the center, for some reason, but I've since put it away.  It didn't really fit with the rest of the colors!

After learning how to cut each pair of fat quarters and sew the blocks together, I've been working on making four at a time every so often, and now I have 20 blocks total.


Now I think it's decision - making time.  I've played with this fun fabric, learned how to make these blocks, and - bonus! - learned how to "spin" the center seam of a four patch block.  That's something I've never done before, and I can see where doing that can be really helpful when sewing many blocks together.

So, I'm ready to move on!  After playing with many layout possibilities, I decided to stick with something really simple, and arrived at this - 


Of course, I'm noticing that there's a ton of contrast in these fabrics, and even though they were picked to go together, they don't mix up in these blocks.  I can see (and I hope you can, too) the diagonal pattern that's created when the blocks are laid out this way.  I like the way these blocks create that design.


I think I have ended up liking the dot fabrics the most in this bunch.  The polka dots have all the colors of the penguins' hats in them, so look fun with any of the other fabrics.

I'm definitely left with scraps from this project, but I'll enjoy having these in my stash to pull from for future projects.


I'll be working on finishing this little quilt up this week, and finding somewhere to donate it.  I think it will make a fun and bright comfort quilt for a little one somewhere.

Hope you're enjoying some stitching today!  
Sharing at Quilting is More Fun than Housework for Oh Scrap.







11 comments:

Libby in TN said...

Great solution. I can definitely see the diagonal pattern!

Linda said...

Love the diagonals, and the colors are so pretty. Looking forward to your finish. :)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

yes I see the diagonal pattern for sure! I think the thing I love most about getting a precut bundle is I know all the fabrics well go together, I'm not always the best at color selection - this look great

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Great layout choice Diann. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Ivani said...

Sure the diagonals are visible and you came out with a great layout, Diann. Lucky will be the person who receives it.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Scraps are good. Those blocks are AWESOME!! :o))

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

I love your layout with these blocks, very effective!

Vicki in MN said...

I definitely saw the diagonal line before I read your sentence. This layout looks great:) Every time I see these fabrics I think of how I tempted you into buying them, haha!

Preeti said...

I have that same penguin fabric. It is so cute. The diagonal layout adds drama - go for it. I agree with you - making/trying new blocks means that there are always new projects before we can finish the ongoing one.

Louise said...

That is such a great block and you used such cute fabrics with the penguins! Now I want to make a batch and end up with my own UFO :)

Kate said...

Love the strong diagonal lines in that quilt. Very fun blocks!