Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Stay at Home Round Robin 2024 - my finish!

It has been another fun few months of sewing along with the Stay at Home Round Robin group, lead by Gail of Quilting Gail!  Thanks to Gail and the other hosts for lots of ideas and inspiration throughout the weeks of the QAL.  

This is my fourth year participating, and the third year in a row starting with an embroidered block as my center.  Since my 2023 SAHRR was made in all cool blue and white,  I decided to do something completely different this year and use warm reds and yellows, with a white for the background, as my color choices.


Week by week, incorporating the different border prompts, I slowly came up with this design.


This week, I sandwiched the layers, did the quilting, and finished everything up!


I decided to quilt in a diamond design, starting with one long, curving line going diagonally from both the top left and right corners, and then echoing that about every 1.5 inches.  I love the texture and look this gives to the finished piece.  (Also it goes edge to edge and doesn't require any marking, so it's fast and easy!)


The backing is the last of the Tumbling Blocks wide back that I've used on several recent quilts.  It seemed like it went pretty well with the front!


I'd say this is a bright, summer-y looking finish - just what I was planning for!


Thanks again, ladies, for a very fun quilt along!

Sharing at QuiltingGail for the SAHRR 2024 Quilt Parade,
and at Quiltfabrication for Midweek Makers.
Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts.
































quilt-along always challenges me in a variety of ways, and this year has been no different.   

29 comments:

Susie H said...

Ta! Da! Great finish, Diann. It is so bright & cheerful.

Auntie Em said...

Wonderful finish! You did a nice job incorporating those two colors. What a fun quilt!

Janice said...

Love your finish.

Anonymous said...

It has been fun to watch your wall hanging come together. I’ve used that quilting design before—looks great! This is a perfect summertime wall hanging. Bring on the lemonade! Gail at the cozy quilter

Deb A said...

What a fun quilt! That backing is perfect for it.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

This turned out awesome! I like how you used a few of the prompts to make one border!

Linda said...

Love this Diann! Those colors are so pretty together, and the design kind of reminds me of a lemonade stand. I love how the floss colors match the fabrics, and I love that backing!

Sara said...

Awesome finish! It says SUNSHINE!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I agree with Sara - it says sunshine when you look at it.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Congrats!! that is a great SAHRR!!!!

JanineMarie said...

I love how your design and colors go so well together. And the wavy grid is so playful. I’ve never thought of that, but it looks like fun. I enjoyed seeing your quilt grow through the weeks of the SAHRR.

Bernie Kringel said...

Great finish Diann!! Summery and cute. The red and yellow are such a fun combination. Well done!!

Jeanna said...

Congratulations on this awesome finish, Diann. I love all of it but especially the embroidered center. Great idea!

Laura said...

This one, with its sunshine and lemony goodness, makes me smile! Love! :)

PaintedThread said...

Yay for a finish! It looks great.

grammajudyb said...

You have a winner again! Great job! It’s so summery and happy! Like the red binding A LOT! I’m thinking of next year already!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

That is one great finish! Your quilting design is terrific!

Vicki in MN said...

That turned out so good! You have a knack for doing these quilts.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Love how you did the diamond quilting, Diann, starting with a curvy line!!! Beautiful finish!!!

Kate said...

A beautiful finish! The colors make me think of strawberry lemonade. Congrats on getting it completed.

Quilting Gail said...

Love it!! The quilt and the quilting are wonderful!!

Thanks for participating in the 2024 SAHRR and for linking up!

chrisknits said...

It's a wonderful finish!!! I need to find time to go see all the finishes. Mine won't be finished for a good while, but I'd rather make it what I want.

Kat Scribner said...

Nine finish Diann. I love it when you dont have to mark any quilting.

piecefulwendy said...

I love how this turned out, Diann! It's so cheerful and bright! Thanks for sewing along with us again this year!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Lovely finish, Diann. Very cheery!

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

What a great finish, Diann! This is such a cheerful quilt. I really love the yellow and red together. Thanks for quilting along with us this year!

Preeti said...

Beautifully finished! Love your Round Robin Quilt.

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

This is a great finish - wonderfully Summery :)

Sandra Walker said...

Such a good idea to start with an embroidered centre. I enjoyed watching this grow each week and am so happy to see such a bright and happy finish! I NEED to get back into stitching, even if I just finished the pattern of quilting mice I started. You always inspire me.