Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, March 15, 2024

Bits and pieces of purple...

In between starting a new project - the Pieces of My Heart QAL at Melva Loves Scraps - and working on finishing up my Stay at Home Round Robin (quilt parade starts soon!) I did sew with some purple scraps this week!

Two purple Hollow 9 blocks were hand-pieced to go along with the two red ones from February.  I still need to stitch some green ones, too.  This is definitely going to be a long term project!


I also made a couple more zipper blocks in purple to add to the collection I have.  


Just for fun, I laid all 36 blocks out on my living room floor with the purple blocks in the middle.  It's a fun, colorful group!

These blocks finish at 6x9, so right now this would be about 36 x 54.  
I'm planning to add six more blocks in the next months,
for a 7 x 6 layout, so then the quilt would be 42 x 54 .  
Since these blocks are rectangular, 
there have to be more across than down for a good size!

What have you been working on this week?
Sharing at SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday and at 






21 comments:

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Such lovely happy blocks. You always have the most beautiful fabrics to work with Diann and you are a master with color. Enjoy your weekend. Hugs.

Anonymous said...

Isn’t it fun to build a quilt a couple of blocks at a time, colour by colour? So satisfying! Gail at the cozy quilter

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

This week I got a top made from a Villa Rosa design. Today is the National Quilting Day exhibit at our local mall. We set up the stands last night and will hang the 34 challenge quilts this morning. It will be an all day thing for me, as I help with set up, work the desk, then do take down this afternoon.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that zipper quilt is really interesting and growing. I have been getting circles ready to applique in place as soon as I get caught up on RSC stuff I need to get to the border of NYB

Sara said...

Your Zipper quilt will be awesome. I'm getting close to having enough Zipper blocks for a quilt too.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

your purple blocks are all perfect!

scraphappy said...

Great progress this week. Those hollow nine patches just sparkle.

Cathy said...

As always, I love your Zipper blocks! I may be working on mine today too!

Linda said...

I'm so in love with your zipper blocks! I love your purples. Hope you have a fun-play weekend. :)

grammajudyb said...

It’s so much fun to see your zipper blocks all in a row! I’ll just keep gong and see how many I get!

Deb A said...

I love seeing all the scrappy fabrics and seeing if I might spy a few I have. Amazingly - not a single one. Must mean I need to go shopping? Love the Hollow blocks. Enjoy your weekend.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Love your purple blocks and red hollow 9 blocks. The zipper blocks are great too. I need to get back to block making. . .soon I hope!!!

Astrid said...

Pretty purple and red blocks! Love your Zipper blocks. I started making Zipper blocks in RSC colors this year, I've lost track of how many I have. They are fun to make and it feels good using up some of those accumulated 2" squares!

Vicki in MN said...

Thank you for laying out your zipper blocks to remind us how pretty this is looking.

Kate said...

You've definitely made good use of your purple scraps. That zipper quilt is lots of fun. The "zippers" really keep your eye moving.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Ohhh I love seeing those zipper blocks laid out - too cute!!
and you RSC are wonderful!

Bonnie said...

Those zipper blocks are going to make a fun, colorful quilt. Good for you for getting some purple blocks done so soon. (Note to self-- don't forget to make some purple blocks one of these days!)

Nann said...

Another nice array, Diann. I made one Zipper quilt set vertically and another set horizontally....just an idea for you to consider.

Jeanna said...

You did a nice job with your purples, Diann. I do love the Zipper blocks!

Maggie said...

Love the blocks, it is a beautiful way to celebrate your birthday year. QAL are so much fun, especially when they use up so many scraps of fabric. Have a wonderful week.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on getting some PURPLE scrappy blocks sewn this week, Diann!!