Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, March 22, 2024

A little more with purple...

This week I finished up the alternate nine patch chain block in purple to go with the patchwork heart.  I had made the nine patches earlier in the month as leader/enders, so it was pretty quick to cut the background pieces and sew the whole thing together.


These are starting to look like something fun!  


Then with a little extra time in the sewing room, and just wanting to play with scraps a bit, I decided to sew a few string blocks.  I found a few in various colors that showed up in a box of crumb scraps, so I'm adding to that collection. 


I made a purple and an off-white, just because that's what I happened to have out.  No plans for these - I'm just making them now and then when I've got string scraps to use up.


Linking up with SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday!
And at Quilting is More Fun than Housework for Oh Scrap.



 






19 comments:

Astrid said...

Pretty blocks, Diann. Love them all, especially the heart blocks.

Kate said...

Your heart blocks are such fun. And your alternate blocks work so well with them. Happy stitching this weekend.

Sara said...

The chain blocks look really good with the scrappy stars. Wow! And string blocks are always good options.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

nice use of all your scraps - I need to put one of my boxes of pre-cut pieces next to the machine to use as leaders and enders

grammajudyb said...

Your hearts and chains blocks are looking good. String blocks are always fun. What size are yours?

Rochelle aka Bella Quilts said...

All of your blocks are lovely. I enjoy seeing all the different colored blocks and how they make the quilt so appealing. Your alternating blocks really compliment the hearts. Are you using a foundation to piece your string blocks?

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

All your scrappy blocks are terrific! Isn't it so amazing how you use scraps; but, the amount seems to stay the same??? How does that continue to happen???

Preeti said...

Fun indeed. Your blocks are looking wonderful and coming together so nicely.

Deb A said...

The heart and alternate block is looking great! Love the string blocks as well, I don't think I have ever made any of those. Enjoy your day.

a good yarn said...

Your scrappy hearts look terrific. Do you have the fabrics already cut to size or do you need to cut them before sewing? The string blocks look really good too.

Maggie said...

Love the four patch blocks with the hearts, that is a great idea for using up so many beautiful pieces of fabric.

PaintedThread said...

I really like the alternating heart and chain blocks.

Jenny said...

Dont your heart blocks look nice with the alternate blocks, that's a great idea to make the two blocks together.

Linda in UK said...

Love your heart blocks with the alternatives - they will make a lovely quilt!

Linda said...

Your purples are really pretty - love the hearts with the Irish chains. I like your strings, especially that off white one. Strings are fun for me, but I always have such a mess while I'm doing them!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Gorgeous scrappy purple heart! And such cute fabrics in your string blocks, like peas and pumpkins. Great idea to sew them up as the scraps appear.

Chantal said...

Those blocks will make a fun quilt for sure. You have lovely purple prints to play with. Love your string blocks. They will become something one day. I have to make some string blocks too. My strings are turning into a giant beanstalk growing everywhere. Enjoy! ;^)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Heck ya - that is turning into something SUPER fun!!!

Jeanna said...

Your quilt is going to be super fun, Diann. I like the string blocks as well.