Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Midweek Update - a new start!

When Melva of Melva Loves Scraps announced her new QAL - Pieces of My Life - I was intrigued by the idea of sewing the story of my life into a quilt!  Since I will be turning 70 this year, it feels like the right year to take on a project like this.  And this week we're getting started!  Check out all the details at the link above if you're curious about it, too.

I am the oldest of four - three girls and a boy - and was born in Kalamazoo, Michigan, in 1954, when my dad was in the Navy.  When I was about two, my parents moved to Rochester, New York, where we lived until I graduated from high school.  My parents both grew up in Iowa, where their parents were also born and lived their whole lives.

This photo is of my mom and me when I was two years old.  Can you see my very curly hair?  


Our first block is called "Bow," and there is an adorable photo of Melva on her post here of her beautiful blonde hair all fixed up with a bow!  My hair didn't work with bows, and it was always kept short when I was little so that it would be mostly under control.  My sister was the one who got pigtails and bows with her long straight hair.  I was always jealous! 

I got started on the bow block by making and trimming a bunch of HSTs.  My plan for this quilt is to use the cream Grunge as my background fabric, the floral as my focus fabric, and various colors chosen from the floral to coordinate with it.  For this block it's a light blue batik.


It didn't take long to stitch up this first block, the Bow!


A little more work is involved - not on the block, but on writing the journal that Melva is providing to document the history of our families and our lives.  I'll get on that this week!

Sharing at Melva Loves Scraps - Pieces of My Life link-up for block #1.
And at Quiltfabrication for Midweek Makers.







13 comments:

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

What a fun project!

Anonymous said...

I have always had very straight hair…I don’t think I have ever worn a bow in my hair! This sew along looks to be right up your alley. Gail at the cozy quilter

Kate said...

What a fun quilt along. Your first block turned out beautifully, I really like your focus fabric. I have always had very straight hair, Grad Girl had very curly hair (from her dad's side). She once woke me up asking me for my hair straightener. I was like, my hair is and always has been straight as a ruler, why would I have one of those? It was one of the more hilarious moments in our relationship.

Linda said...

I love your block! That print with that beautiful blue is so pretty. Love the story behind it, so interesting - I didn't know you had so many siblings.
I love that photo of you and your Mom. My Mom took me to "beauty shop" to get perms in my hair - can you imagine? She had straight hair and so did I, and she always wanted curls - lol!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like your curly hair! My hair was always wavy and then when it turned gray/white it went straight. That quilt block is pretty love that blue

Jeanna said...

That is such a precious photo of you and your Mom. I love your curly hair. Mine was always straight and blah! Isn't funny how we want what we don't have? LOL.
I love your Bow block. The fabric selection works very well.

PaintedThread said...

What a delightful photo! This sounds like a fun project.

Nann said...

What a wonderful photo of you and your mother -- your grin! And of course I identify with the curls (the book, too). I'll check out the quilt-along.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Love the photo of you and your mom, Diann!!! Curls are a gift!!!

Laura said...

Your bow block is very pretty, Diann! Absolutely love the photo of you and your Mom...so happy! :)

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Fabulous photo of you and your mom, Diann! Your bow block looks amazing . Another happy block. Hugs

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Such an adorable photo of you and your lovely Mom, Diann. Don't you look so cute! And the start of your love of books too, no doubt. Meanwhile, lovely blocks.

Susie H said...

Oh how I wish I wasn't involved in so many SALs!!! I'd love to jump on this one with you and the others. Love the photo of you and your mother. There is a lot of joy in that picture!

Oops! Almost forgot to let you know that your block is very pretty. I love your floral fabric.