Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, March 1, 2024

Finishing up February

Since most of this week was still in February, I continued to sew with red, and that worked out nicely because my Stay at Home Round Robin has a lot of red in it!   My first job was to sew together blocks made for the previous prompts from weeks 3, 4, and 5 into one border, and at that point it looked like this:

Border 1: Signature blocks, Border 2: two colors (yellow and white), then a narrow red border to contain all that yellow (!), Border 3: triangles, Border 4: square-in-a-square blocks, Border 5: anything that involves the number 4 (I made four patch blocks).  
And here we are!

Kathleen McMusing had the prompt for Border #6 and she called for using letters or numbers.   Since my SAHRR began with an embroidered block that says "When life gives you lemons..." I decided that another embroidered section would be appropriate!  

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!

Next I needed to decide how I was going to use that piece in the final border.  My first idea was to piece it into a wide red section, and finish the whole project with a red border the rest of the way around.  So far, I've just made the bottom section and sewn a red border to the top.


But then those two big blocks of red on either side of the embroidered words started to bother me!  Is that too much red?  (It feels too heavy if you know what I mean!)  I woke up thinking about that this morning - does that happen to you?  So, what if I added another pieced block on either side of the embroidery - like this sawtooth star?  

Maybe!

I'll be making a decision about that in the coming days, and working on a finish for this wall-hanging - the final link-up is March 18th.  But meanwhile, I'm sharing my work on Border #6 with the rest of the SAHRR participants over at Kathleen McMusing's blog.  

Also sharing at SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday where purple will be the color for March!  















13 comments:

Julie in GA said...

Your SAHRR piece is looking great! I agree that adding the star to break up that big area of red is a good idea. Looking forward to seeing your finish!

Sara said...

Oh my - your SAHRR is cute! I love the additions you've made. I'm still trying to make a decision on my last round for mine.

Laura K said...

Beautiful quilt choices. "Waking up thinking about it" happens all the time to me. I always go with the suggestion that my subconscious handed to me at that moment. Glad you did too. The changes you made to your original border 6 look great.

grammajudyb said...

I like the sawtooth stars on the corners! What a fun Summertime wall quilt! Great job on the embroidery!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Combining prompts is a great way to keep your SAHRR on the smaller side, Diann! I think you are onto something with that star block in the Lemonade border. What about a little smaller scale? The one you shared might detract from your stitching.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Love that last border with the yellow star plan. . .Really love the Make Lemonade embroidery! What a great way to incorporate the prompt!

Anonymous said...

Thé stars are a good addition to that bottom border. Gail at the cozy quilter

JanineMarie said...

Ooh, I like the star. And how did I miss it that the end of the phrase was not in the center of your quilt except by suggestion with the picture? What a fun way to fulfill the prompt. It was made for you and your quilt.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

What a bright and cheerful quilt! It's fun to see your process and how you're thinking about adding elements. Stars are always in my top ten BTW. Good luck, I'm sure it will be wonderful no matter what you decide.

chrisknits said...

I think the stars are the perfect addition! Eager to see this finished.

Susie H said...

The cornerstone stars are the perfect icing on the cake! Of course, that would be a lemon cake! ;>D

Kathleen said...

How great that you were able to add "make lemonade for this round - so perfect. Fabulous job - and I look forward to seeing your finish!

Kate said...

I like where you are going with your SAHRR. It's going to make a fun wall hanging.