Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, March 6, 2024

I Like Thursday #378

I decided it was time to stitch something for Spring, so when Melisa shared the March heart for her Year of Hearts, that was the perfect choice!  I'm not very far along on it yet, but started with the daffodils.


It's been a good week here - my mom is back home in her little apartment, Mike and I were able to play golf, and our property taxes are paid!  All good!

There were elk at the golf course the other day!  This is the one we play most often - right in the middle of town.  This is not my photo, but was shared by a friend who lives right on the golf course.  I'm just wondering how these guys crossed the busy streets to get to this area!


Have you read any of Marie Benedict's books?  She likes to write about the hidden stories of historical women.  I've been reading The Personal Librarian, about Belle Greene, a young woman, just in her 20s! who became the librarian for J. P. Morgan in the early 1900s.  It's pretty interesting!  


Our question of the week is to describe something we experience with our senses every Spring.  My favorite sensory experience in the Spring is the blooming trees.  I look forward to the lilacs and our Spring Snow Crabapple and the many other trees and bushes in our area that have beautiful blooms.  The beautiful colors, the scent of the blooms, cutting some to bring in the house.  It won't be until early April that we get these beautiful blooms, but it is worth the wait!


Have a great day!

Thanks for visiting on I Like Thursday hosted by LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color.











13 comments:

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

The Personal Librarian was quite the book. What a secret Belle kept and what a treasure trove she gathered. Your newest embroidery is going together well. When I was a kid up until a decade ago, it was the blooming trees that was my signal that spring is here. Now, it is the daffodils and the crocus. I love the cheerfulness of those bright yellow flowers!

Anonymous said...

I have several types of daffodils in my garden and they make me smile every time I see them. That is the perfect Spring embroidery project. I have not read that book yet. I’m currently reading a mystery by Kevin Major…Three for Trinity. It is set in Newfoundland in a town we visited last summer while on vacation. Have a great day! Gail at the Cozy Quilter

Linda said...

I downloaded Mellisa's embroidery pattern too! But that's as far as I got - lol! I'm so glad your Mom is back to her comfort place and you and Mike are enjoying the golf course. I like spring trees too, we've been enjoying the sight of thick white blooms of Bradford pear trees all over town. Did I ever tell you I was in Denver once the first week of April, and the day I flew in it was sunny and beautiful and the next day it snowed? :)

Jeanna said...

Melisa is so creative and most generous with her designs. Love your little daffodils. I'm looking forward to spring and all it's blooming trees and flowers. I believe I'm supposed to be pruning the hydrangeas this weekend but need to consult with the local garden center.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that must have been a sight elk at the golf course. Glad your mom is back home and doing alright. Have a good spring! hope it starts to get warmer soon

Kate said...

Love your yellow daffodils in this month's heart. The trees are blooming here too, very pretty, but not so great for the sinuses it seems.

Angela said...

Those elk are amazing! Such a cool sight for a golfer!

Pat said...

Your daffodil heart embroidery is a lovely project for spring. That book looks very interesting. I shall have to see where I can find a copy. Your golf course looks like an adventure in the wild. Good to hear your mom is home in her apartment. Happy Spring ... :) Pat

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Aah Diann, your daffodils are looking so pretty! I am so excited to see your progress. I remember last year when you shared about the elk on the golf course. What a fun sighting. Have you ever heard them bugle while golfing? We saw one elk while we were on vacation in January.They are magnificent. Enjoy your weekend. Hugs.

Susie H said...

Great report on your mother. So glad she's back home. Good for you to get out & golf. The great outdoors is a wonderful place to spend time.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I really like that selvage quote in your last post. Kind of says it all about us women,heh. Also happy your mom is back in her spot. Golfing is a great walk in the fresh air with hopefully, a few good swings and putts. :D

PaintedThread said...

Yay for your mom being home. We have deer around here - but I find your elk fascinating.

LA Paylor said...

likely sooner for blossoms since it's much warmer sooner now
I read that book, VERY well written and brought up discussions... I went on to do research on her and the times
LeeAnna