Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Monday, March 28, 2022

To-Do Tuesday #131: or not!

Some weeks you follow the plan and some weeks you don't!  This past week I didn't really work on anything on last week's list...  But I got obsessed with a couple projects and sewed on them every day, so it's all good, right?!

A few weeks ago, I shared this photo of some blocks I had started making using a charm pack I had in my stash.  These are from Carole's pattern at From My Carolina Home that was published recently in Fave Quilts.


This week I made all the rest of the blocks that were needed for a small quilt and decided to lay them out this way.


The other thing I've been working on are the Spiny Peaks blocks that create this fun zigzag design.  I made just enough blocks to play with the design idea and see how it went together.  Here's how it looks before trimming.



After trimming, and ready for quilting - quite a bit of length and width gets cut off which is somewhat discouraging, but this is still 12 x 35, and I already have an idea for where it will go.  It's been fun, just making these simple blocks and seeing what happens!


What was really on last week's list?  
  • Work on Full Stop, the 2021 Rainbow Scrap Challenge sampler - nope!
  • Finish two small embroidery pieces to give as gifts - not this one either, lol!
So... I'll keep these on the list for the coming week, and add one more:
  • Begin working on Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks for April - the new color of the month is pink!

Joining in with Linda and friends at Texas Quilt Gal for the To-Do Tuesday link-up.  Maybe you stayed more focused than I did!


 








13 comments:

Ivani said...

Love your new blocks and the layout you choose, Diann.

Libby in TN said...

You're allowed a week off here and there and I think you spent your time wisely. Love that charm pack piece. I have a couple of charm packs that need to be used ...

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like that pattern that you show of Carol's nice! Sometimes I follow my plan and other times I get sidetracked

grammajudyb said...

Love your new project and the "barnraising" like setting! Your Spiny Peaks runner is going to look great. It's very summery looking! Zigzags are hard to end!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Fun projects. Love the one from Carol. I always get side tracked. LOL

Vicki in MN said...

Your version of Carole's pattern is so pretty! We all have to deviate from our goals once in a while 😊

Linda said...

Carol's pattern is so cute in those fabrics, love the loyout too! Yes it is fun to get away from goals sometimes. ;)
Thanks for linking to To Do Tuesday!

piecefulwendy said...

Such fun blocks and layouts, Diann! It's so fun to use simple blocks that make stunning layouts. Lots of happiness in your quilt room!

Kathryn T said...

I often get side tracked by what takes my fancy too. I say let's do it! Love what you achieved this week. Both are gorgeous and the spiny peaks one is such fun.

Bonnie said...

Ooh glad to know the new color for RSC. Evidently I don't check until the first of the month because I'm always surprised when I read about the next month's color on someone's blog. I like Spiny Peaks. It looks easy and could use a multitude of light fabrics along with scraps.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Cute projects, Diann! If you didn't want to lose all the trimmings for Spiny Peaks, you could easily have added setting triangles to finish it off. Perhaps the offcuts are just waiting for some creative use in a little something! :o))

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Those are cute blocks and I love your layout. Looks like a lot of fun and a great use of charms--looks like it might use each piece entirely? (no waste?). And your other one looks like some good ol' scrappy floral fun!

Kate said...

Those charm pack blocks worked out beautifully, I really like that lay out. You still made lots of progress even if you didn't follow the list. Sometimes it just works out that way. Good luck with this week's to dos.