Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, March 23, 2022

I Like Thursday #279

The first blooms of Spring have appeared in my garden!  Just a couple little yellow crocuses so far, but I was so happy to see them.

My garden is still in winter mode.  The weather has been too unpredictable yet to make us feel like getting out into the yard.  But it's getting there!

We found an app for a word game that's just like Wordle - this one's called Wordly.  I liked yesterday's word!


You know I love sewing with my scraps.  I've enjoyed watching Deb A's QAYG hexie project through the last year, and she is ending up with an amazing finish.  I made a small table topper with the same type of hexies last year, but decided to start another one recently.  This time I want to use a consistent background fabric and just a few inner coordinating prints.

These are all hand stitched.  Just a few made so far.

I do my slow stitching in the evenings, and we're always looking for new shows to watch then, too.  I was so happy to see that Call the Midwife is back for Season 11 on PBS!  


I finished up an interesting book this week, too, The Dictionary of Lost Words.  Historical fiction, but a very true to the history story of how the Oxford English Dictionary was published.


And please don't think all I read is historical fiction, because as soon as finished this one,  picked up 2 Sisters Detective Agency by James Patterson and Candace Fox.  A light read and a fast one, but fun!

Hope you're finding things to like in your part of the world this week!  I'm joining in with "I Like Thursday," hosted by LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color.











 

13 comments:

Libby in TN said...

Thumbs up on all your likes. I'm glad to see Call the Midwife back, if only to see the fashions! I'm late to the game but did a quick catch-up on Sanditon before Season 2 began.

Kate said...

Winter doesn't seem to be done with us yet, I'm hoping this weekend will be nice as I need to get into the yard and clear out some stuff before it starts growing. Enjoy your slow stitching while watching your favorite show.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

You might enjoy the Netflix movie The Professor and the Madman about the Oxford Dictionary too.

Linda said...

Those happy little crocuses! We saw trees with just the beginning of the fluffy green look the other day, and we are going to look for some tomato plants today! Love your little hexies. Have a great rest of the week!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Oh you have crocus. My cousin posted a birthday pic of her with a forsythia in full bloom. Cute hexies. I have that book to read sooner or later.

The Joyful Quilter said...

I saw that game pop up in my feed, but didn't click on it. Enjoy those sweet blooms, Diann! That book sounds interesting. Perhaps, another trip to the library is in order.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have not gotten into the word game wordle at all that so many seem to do. My sister and I used to do word with friends all the time until it suddenly stopped working on every single one of my devices, phone, ipad, computer - it won't work on any of them but it does on her end - so strange. I have given up on it. I like the ones where two can play and have a conversation going at the same time in a chat area on it and we haven't found anything to replace it since and it has been a good six months now.

grammajudyb said...

Ooh, crocuses! And yellow ones too! Nothing in my yard except sticks from trees! Ugh! Glad to see you are finding something to watch in the evenings. I need to get back to Call the Midwife. Mr Busy doesn’t enjoy it, so it’s a “Me Time” watch! I do that to with This Is Us , so when that last season is over (too soon), I’ll start on Call The Midwife!
I’ll check out Wordly. Have you tried Quordle? That’s a stretch!
Have a great weekend!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Oh my do love the hexies. Have several templates to make more of them sometime too. The possibilities are endless. Hand stitching with a great show on the tv is the best! Happy Stitching and reading, Diann. But oh my almost forgot...I have bare ground, yes, but still not warm enough for flowers. Enjoy that too!

piecefulwendy said...

Fun to see the flowers peeping through! Thanks for the book recommendations, too! I enjoy hand stitching while watching a good show, too, but I'm running out of shows - ha!

chrisknits said...

I'm going to have to do one of those hexie projects! Just love the look.

PaintedThread said...

Yay for crocuses! I like your hexies.

Sandra Walker said...

Wow, your hand-stitching really is impressive Diann! And wow, season 11 - I am so far behind in that show, and I just love it. Need to make the time but there are so many good ones to watch. Thanks for another book recommendation! That one sounds right up my alley.