Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, March 2, 2022

I Like Thursday #276

Welcome!  Thanks for visiting on I Like Thursday, hosted by LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color.

What a difference a week makes!  Last week I think our highs were in the teens for several days in a row.  This week, we're hitting the upper 60s and even 70.  Lots of melting going on!  It was nice enough to get out the golf clubs and go for a little practice on the putting green.  This makes my husband really happy!


I am not much of a shopper, but I do like finding a good sale now and then.  This week it was Fat (Quarter) Tuesday at my LQS, which meant they had a good sale on fat quarters.  I came home with these spring-y additions to my stash.


And the Gutterman thread I like at Joann's was a good deal at "Buy 3, get 2 free."
Now I'm all stocked up.  I'm thinking I will quilt my Stay at Home Round Robin with the light blue.

Can you tell I've been sewing with the yellow scraps this week? 😍

I finished up last week's pile of books and started a new one, recommended by Bernie at Needle and Foot.  This is a memoir of the author, Bill Bryson, growing up in Des Moines, Iowa, in the 1950s.  Bernie said a lot of this book would resonate with those of us who grew up in the 1950s and 60s, and it sure is for me.  Especially since my grandparents lived in Iowa,  and we visited them every summer.


This week I got out my sunflower tablerunner to show my support for the people of Ukraine.

From the Washington Post:
The sunflower, Ukraine's national flower, is becoming a global symbol of solidarity. The sunflower has long held a meaningful place in the hearts of many Ukrainians as the national flower. But since Russia invaded their country last week, the plant has become a global symbol of resistance, unity and hope.

🌻 Hope 🌻

 







14 comments:

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

You had nice weather, and melting? We have warmer temps and melting, but we are all muddy and mucky. Pretty fabrics, the book sounds awesome, and Love your table runner.

Libby in TN said...

Have fun with your new treasures! We may get up to 70 today, too. I might just have to get out in the garden ...

Juliana said...

I always enjoy your blog posts. Thanks very much for including the information about the sunflower and Ukraine.

Linda said...

Glad you are getting some warmer temps and can enjoy a little golf! Do you use the Gutterman thread for all your quilty projects? I saw it last time I was in Joann's but knew nothing about it. It would sure be easier to purchase than the Superior threads I've been using for years.
When I saw your sunflower runner, I first thought you had recently whipped it up! How timely it is. I've seen a few patterns for purchase on Instagram but none I like as much as yours. I did make a purchase on Etsy the other night to support a Ukrainian seller. I wish I could do more!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

So glad you have the warmer temperatures that we have also it is so nice after cold weather to be warmer. I love the Sunflower and must find a photo or something to put on my facebook to show solidarity. I hate what is happening in the world.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I'm so impressed by your warm spell, golfing and shorts! Your sewing room photos are always so neat and tidy. Mine is a mess in comparison. I have my sunflower tablecloth out too. I too hate what's going on in the world. All so sad.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Diann! Putting on the greens, even if they aren't all that green yet, is a fabulous thing! Thanks for the book suggestion via Bernie! I will see if our library has that book. LOVE the sunflower inspiration and a global symbol of hope, resistance, and unity is a good message to share. I have my own plans for sunflowers! {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

piecefulwendy said...

When the putting greens start getting busy, warmer weather is coming! I'm sure glad he was able to get out and have some fun. Meanwhile, you were having fun in your quilt room with happy fabrics. I think buying thread is as fun as buying fabric, so it's fun to see your little line up, ready to make those quilt tops shine. How neat that you have a sunflower quilt to bring out for such a time as this. I think I read Bryson's Appalachian Trail book, A Walk in the Woods, a few years ago. Not sure I finished it, but what I read was pretty funny. I hope you enjoy the book!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Scraps, thread, some new fabric and time on the putting green. Spring is in the air!

MissPat said...

I read that Bill Bryson book quite a few years ago and, yes, it brought back lots of memories. I've read several other books of his, too. Good for you having a sunflower project to pull out to show your concern and support. I've been thinking of making one of the yellow and blue hearts I've seen in several posts and putting it on my front door. We're going down to single digits tonight, near 60 on Saturday, then more snow next week. The roller coaster continues.
Pat

Susie H said...

I suspect our weather of late has made many golfers happy around here too. Me? I've been puttering around in the garden a little which makes me happy. Definitely wishing Ukraine hope, peace, and unity. Never knew the sunflower was associated with their national flower. Changed my blog Header out perfectly! Haha!

grammajudyb said...

Warm weather can only be surpassed by a great fabric and thread “haul”! Looks like you got both! Now at least, you’re set for when the weather goes back to “seasonal “! heehee!

PaintedThread said...

Very pretty fat quarters. I'm looking forward to spring, but I'm not quite prepared for it yet (yard prep and such). Daylight savings starts next weekend?!?!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

The weather has certainly been crazy with the ups and downs. So nice that it is warming up though. Spring is on its way. Great haul on fat quarters and threads. And super cute sunflower quilt. I did not know the Sunflower was Ukraine's national flower. Thank you so much for sharing this. Have a great weekend and happy quilting.