Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, March 18, 2022

ScrapHappy Table Scraps for March

I've been making a series of quilted mats for the small table that sits between our two  comfy chairs in the family room.  This month's design was inspired by Kathy at Kathy's Quilts who recently showed a quilt she finished that she calls Scraphappiness. I really liked the way her blocks were made, so I decided to give them a try.  I started with a bunch of strips about 4 inches wide, and sewed them into a column.  When it seemed like there were enough, I trimmed the whole column to 3.5 x 9.5.


Three columns sewn together made a 9.5 inch block.  I've been making these mats about 13 x 17, so some bright yellow sashing was added to get the size I wanted.


Two more columns on either side of the yellow brought this up to the width I wanted, and voila!

I call this one Scrap Happy because, really, anything I had available in a strip or string went in.  Flowers, cats, penguins, stars, raindrops, even a sewing machine!

March's color of the month is yellow, and Joy added the challenge to include flowers in our project, and they're both covered on the front.  But you have to see the back!

I think someone gave me this in a scrap bag, and it's really kind of ugly, 
but so perfect for this Table Scraps mat!  Daisies and red and yellow dots!

And here is my March Table mat already hard at work!


But, wait!  There's more!  I had kind of a Drop Everything and Make It moment a couple days ago, and made my mom a shamrock mug rug.  This was inspired by Pat, @pate393 on Instagram, who made a pretty shamrock door hanger.  I saw hers on Tuesday and spent Wednesday making this so I could give it to my mom on St. Patrick's Day.

2 inch squares made 3.5 inch 4 patches, and 1 inch squares for the stitch and flip corners.
Some white to border the shamrock and a little coordinating green check brought this up to 8 x 10 inches.

And a peek at the back:

Four leaf clovers!

A lot of fun was had this week, finishing up these Scrap Happy projects!  
Sharing at SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday!
And my DrEAMi has to be linked up at mmmquilts, too!














25 comments:

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Enjoyed your Likes post very much. Your mom looks cozy and happy. Stuffed peeps! Have never seen them…so cute. I subscribe to Carole’s blog and enjoy her writings. Great blocks. As are these happy ones you’ve made here. Lovely and useful!

Julierose said...

Neat strippy mat and really cute shamrock!! You've been busy;)) I love little projects you can finish easily...I need a bit of that fun sewing ...hugs, Julierose

Ivani said...

Love your scrap happy tablemat and shamrock mug rug. Well done, Diann. Who isn't happy playing with scraps?

Libby in TN said...

Both your little pieces are lovely, but the shamrock is my favorite. I really need to work up some mug rugs with my scraps.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

nice table mat, that brightens up your area

scraphappy said...

What a fun table mat. So many inspirations from around the web. It is always fun to find something new to try.

Mari said...

Very cute scrap projects! I love that little shamrock and I bet your mom did, too. Enjoy the weekend!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

I love both your projects! The scraps on your table mat are so much fun to look at, especially the penguins. And the fabrics for your mug rug are absolutely perfect.

PaintedThread said...

Excellent projects. I love the shamrock.

Vicki in MN said...

Cuteness all around!

grammajudyb said...

I looked at that block on Kathy's blog too! Seems like a great one to have in your toolbag! A happy sunny table mat for your special table.
I'm going to check out the shamrock pattern for next year. I could use a cute mug rug for St Patrick's Day, month..

Have a great wrerkend!

Linda said...

Lovely use of scraps. I love the daisy backing to your scrappy table mat. I expect your Mum was delighted with her Shamrock mat. I saw that pattern on Pat Sloan’s blog and was tempted.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Yes, your scrap happy is hard at work!!! In a happy way, for sure! So cute, all those different fun prints! And the back is so fun! Great shamrock mug rug, too! Wonderful gift for your mom!!!

LA Paylor said...

done with table scraps! Awesome and love your yellows but the daisy fabric is awesome! Good luck to you for "finding" (making) a shamrock!

piecefulwendy said...

Such cute mats, and I love the shamrock one, too. That polka dot backing is so pretty!

The Joyful Quilter said...

TABLE SCRAPS Challenge and a DrEAMI project, too? Way to go, Diann!! About that backing for Scrap Happy, what do you think is so ugly about it? I think it's cute!

Sara said...

The pieced clover is so cute!!

chrisknits said...

Perfect minis!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Perfect pieces!!

Kate said...

Lots of scrappy fun! Congrats on two fun and pretty finishes.

Kathy S. said...

The colors go so cute together. I was expecting to see your Table Scraps challenge project for March. Loved the extra surprise of the shamrock project. Nicely done on both finishes.

Gene Black said...

I love your table mat for the challenge. To me, random piecing like your scrappy column is so much fun. My scraps often get made useable that way.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Diann, that is one lovely yellow Scrap Happy mat! It will liven any space up!

Deb A said...

Love the shamrock for your Mom. The table topper is very cute as well.

Sandra Walker said...

That table mat is just so bright and cheery! And the shamrock mug rug? A TRUE Drop Everything And Make it moment! Bet your mom loved it and yay for sister enablers. :-)