Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, March 9, 2022

I Like Thursday #277

It's been quiet at our house this week.  After a brief flirtation with Spring last week, Colorado has gone back to winter with snow and quite a few days below freezing.  Typical March, lots of ups and downs.

Frosty doesn't seem to mind playing in the snow, though!  I only have two (of 12 total) Frosty designs left to stitch so I decided this would be a good week to get them finished.  

Melisa has a fun setting for sewing all 12 into a small quilt.
See that here.

I've been stitching on Frosty while watching "Shetland" in the evenings on BritBox.  DI Jimmy Perez is our latest favorite British detective.  (These all take place on the Scottish Shetland Islands.)  There's great scenery, too!


It's been good reading weather, too, and I just finished this one.  It's WWII historical fiction, which is always a favorite genre of mine.  It has an interesting point of view, though - much of the story takes place in a US internment camp in Crystal City, Texas.  I think it was recommended by Karen - thank you - I couldn't put it down!


Comfort food, anyone?  How about breakfast for lunch - blueberry pancakes and bacon?  Yum!


I broke down and did some dusting yesterday (least favorite of all chores)!  While doing that, I came across this sweet little china cup and saucer that my grandma gave me years ago.  I decided it deserved to come out and be on display, rather than hidden away on a dusty shelf.  So I put it on our little entry way chest, along with other March things.

A little feel of Spring inside, even though 
it's not quite here outside yet!

Hope you're having a great week! 
I'm joining in with "I Like Thursday," hosted by LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color.













12 comments:

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

I love the show Shetland. Spring/March weather always leaves you dazed and confused. We had a day of 60 then snow the next day. I love Shetland, it is one of the reasons why I subscribe to Britbox, when I do watch TV. What is it about British crime shows that are so gritty, but you love them?

Libby in TN said...

You are not alone. We have a yard full of daffodils, the Lentan Roses are blooming, we opened windows a couple of days, and we're expecting snow on Saturday! Frosty looks like he's enjoying the snow, tho.

Michele McLaughlin said...

We got snow too after a couple of days of really warm weather. It's humbling to say the least. Love your spring display, that table runner is adorable! Have a great weekend!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I loved Shetland but I think I only got 4 seasons before I couldn't find the rest- what are you watching it on? I might have to get Britbox I like a lot of the English shows when I can get them. I loved that book too. I have a couple more good ones by Noah Hawley -- try "Before the Fall" and I'm currently reading one of his called "The Good Father"should be done with that one today or tomorrow. We had nice spring weather several time since February in between cold spell - next cold spell is Friday and I have to cover up plants today in anticipation of it as I have blueberry blossoms and some strawberry blossoms now. Possible snow in the forecast and low 20's again

Linda said...

I'm going to see about getting Britbox, since I love British crime shows. We almost need captioning on to understand them though - lol! We have had ups and downs weatherwise too, and we have a winter storm advisory starting tonight. The little cup looks sweet on your pretty runner! Your blueberries look perfectly placed on your pancakes. :)

grammajudyb said...

Can’t wait to see all your Frosty blocks all together. We’ve watched some British films, poor Mr. Busy just can’t understand the accent, so we have to have closed caption on. Sigh! I finally started a page in my “Discover” notebook for book recommendations. Maybe now I’ll be able to remember to look for them at the library. We don’t usually have breakfast for lunch, but often have pancakes and eggs for supper. Enjoy your vignette with your Grandmother cup and saucer! So sweet!
Hope your weather improves, Kyle Clark said last night, “March is Colorado’s snowiest month”! I’m anxious for consistent 68 degrees! :)

Vicki in MN said...

I don't know how time can fly so fast, but I still haven't gotten time to trace another frosty! We are having a rock painting party today. I think I got sunburnt yesterday riding bike, we have very nice temps lately. I am sure you will have warmer temps soon too.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Diann! I think pulling out that teacup and saucer was a great idea. My theory is that if you encourage and act like Spring is right around the corner, the decorations will encourage it to come even earlier. Will that work? Probably not, but at least you'll be enjoying the view while staying inside from the winter weather. HAHA! That series, Shetland, looks good. I would enjoy seeing the background if nothing else! {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

LA Paylor said...

bacon and pancakes, yes please. Books, always enticing and your embroidery too

PaintedThread said...

We just finished re-watching season 5 of Shetland - I'm ready for the next season! mmm. Blueberry pancakes and bacon looks yummy.

Susie H said...

Blueberry pancakes and bacon are welcome any time of day -- breakfast, lunch, or dinner! Your snowman looks cute and will happily join the others. Have you figured out how you want to finish your quilt? I'm still thinking about how many I want to make and how I'll finish it up. Hope your weather has decided to warm up. Didn't Mother Nature hear it's almost time for Daylight Savings Time? hahaha!

Kate said...

We've done breakfast for dinner, but not for lunch. That was always a treat when we were growing up. I got hooked on Shetland when it was on Netflix. That's the one bad thing about the abundance of pay for view services, it makes it hard to keep up with favorites.