Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Sunday, February 5, 2017

The Hodgepodge Quilt, Part 2

I was having so much fun with this quilt, that I finished sewing the top together right after posting about it in the Oh Scrap linky party last Sunday!  When we woke up to a light dusting of snow Thursday morning (on top of the freezing rain from the night before, but that's another story), I just had to take it outside for a beauty shot in the yard.

I ended up piecing in two strips of some navy to make everything fit together correctly, which gives this quilt an asymmetrical design, and I like it!


I was actually really pleased with this picture because it shows off the different blues, greens, and turquoises that are in this quilt.  Plus a teeny, tiny bit of purple!

In keeping with the "Use it Up" theme of this quilt, I decided to piece the backing out of all of the bigger chunks of blues that I could find, so I've been working on that this week.


It's not quite long enough or wide enough yet, so I'll be adding a bit more to it before I can get the layers basted.  I will probably have to piece together some batting as well, but that's okay, too!


I'm thinking of donating this quilt to the nursing home where my MIL is currently spending some time, getting her strength back after multiple health concerns.  It's the perfect size for covering up when someone spends a lot of time sitting in a wheelchair or recliner, about 45 x 55.

Sharing with Oh Scrap today at Quilting is More Fun than Housework!  





8 comments:

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

You did such a great job putting this together, no one would ever know it was made from orphan blocks. It really is lovely! Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Vicki in MN said...

Oh I certainly love it!! I love the orange peel blocks as the borders. So fun and will give someone in the nursing home a lot of different fabrics to look at.

Linda said...

I like this quilt so much! Love the asymmetrical look, and the pieced backing ties in with it. :)
Love that you might donate it to a nursing home. Yay!

Tanya Quilts in CO said...

I love this quilt--such beautiful blocks and colors look lovely together. It would be a great lap quilt at a nursing home. Go Falcons--they just scored 7 to 0!

gayle said...

It's beautiful, Diann! Those orange peels for the border are just the perfect touch.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Beauty shot, indeed!! I absolutely LOVE this quilt and you are welcome to send it my way, if you don't have a use for it. :o))

Barb Neiwert said...

Someone is going to be very pleased and happy with this quilt - it's a beauty!

Kate said...

Love the colors and the asymmetric setting. The orange peel border really does pull it all together. Congrats on a fun finish.